Question

Weekly Text Message to a Group with Stop to select one of 3 messages : Google Contacts and SimpleTexting

• 8 December 2021
  • 6 replies

IMPORTANT

Approval by Zapier will be discontinued on February 28, 2023. If you’re using Approval by Zapier, you can still create approval steps in your Zaps using Zapier Tables and Zapier Interfaces. Request access to both apps through our Early Access Program.

I am trying to set up a complicated Zap: I would like to schedule a weekly text (one of 3, depending on the situation) to a group that I have labeled in Google Contacts.

1 - Is it possible to sync a group labeled in Google Contacts with the group in Zapier/SimpleTexting?

I exported the group out of Google Contacts and manually uploaded it into SimpleTexting. Not sure if there is a way to keep the group synced.

2 - Once the group is established, what is the best way to schedule a weekly text to the group?

I saw a very tedious workaround answer from a year ago, so am hoping that something better has been developed since then, as I ultimately need to make a decision weekly on which of the 3 scenarios to trigger, which need to be built into this.

--------

Here is the ultimate workflow that I’m trying to accomplish:

- Reminder sent to me at 6:00am PT Thursday morning via email + text 

- Reminder has link to open, which would give 3 options: Send message A , B, or C to group (I’m thinking this step is where the Approval by Zapier fits in? And then schedule 3 different texts that are awaiting approval, so they are on pause until triggered?)

- By the selection of the letter/number, it would have the option to click a link to open the corresponding message to be edited (if needed) 

- When ready, clicking SAVE/GO/X/(whatever it is), it would trigger the appropriate message (A, B or C) to be sent via TEXT at the desired time/frequency.

(B message needs to be sent 3X (same time, 3 days in a row), vs 1 time for messages A and C).

-------

This is a proof of concept that I’d like to start with, and then build upon, once I get it working.

I’ve been searching the community, but haven’t found anything like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Steve89074 

Check out this help article for scheduling messages in SimpleTexting: https://simpletexting.com/features/scheduled-texts/

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steve89074

Check if SimpleTexting Zap action to Send SMS/MMS action has the ability to send to a List/Group.

Otherwise, consider using a different SMS app.

ClickSend has this available action: Send SMS to Contact List

TextMagic has this option available in this Zap action: Send Message

Thanks for your response!

The roadblock isn’t creating a recurring text to a group - SimpleTexting can do that fine. What it doesn’t have is a pause for me to be able to select this week’s scenario, prior to sending.

I don’t want it automatically sent, I need 3 different messages scheduled, but on pause, waiting for me to select which scenario to run that week. Hope that explains it better.

SimpleTexting is the second vendor I’m trying. Tried SMSMagic first (no support after purchase). Hoping that the Zapier integration will be the win for this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steve89074 

Still unclear why you need to have prescheduled/paused SMS campaigns each week, vs triggering on demand or submitting a scheduled request to send.

Would it make more sense to simply fill out a form each week with some data points. (message, list, date/time)

For example, TextMagic a Schedule Message field.

Not sure if SimpleTexting has the same options in their Zap app integration.

I am trying to SAVE TIME/AVOID filling out a form each week, when usually I need to just send one of 3 messages. This scenario is exactly what automation is for.

This is a PROOF OF CONCEPT. If I can get this to work, then I will build upon it for other repetitive campaigns that I are fairly consistent and work with automation like this.

I’ve worked at other places where we did a lot of automation work, and figuring out how to automate tasks like this is how we were able to save $Millions a year in time/effort. Sounds like TextMagic has the same capabilities as SimpleTexting in this regard.

If anyone knows how to do this using Zapier involved (which has Approval by Zapier for pausing - why I put it in the tags), please let me know.

Update: SimpleTexting recognizes the need for a Pause - they already have it as a status for when same-day bulk texts are paused in the middle of their send. They have put the request for the ability to pause future texts on their future development list. It’s always great to work with a company that listens to their customer’s need for automation vs. trying to force the customer to shove a round peg into a square hole.

Being familiar with how long these development lists can be, and not knowing where this request will end up in the prioritization list, I am still looking for a solution using Zapier.

If anyone knows how to automate this process using Zapier and SimpleTexting, please let me know. I appreciate the time people are taking to read this, even if they don’t know the answer (“I don’t know” is a very respectable answer). Thanks in advance.