Question

Weekly digest of Google Calendar events to Slack

• 11 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hi all, I’m going slightly batty over this one so hoping for some insight here.

I’m wanting to schedule a weekly Slack message that shows a digest of the following weeks calendar entries (Google Cal), and I’ve been following this tutorial (https://zapier.com/blog/automatic-daily-digest-of-tomorrows-meetings/) which shows that it can actually be done, but I’m only getting one entry come up when it posts to Slack.

What am I missing? When I create the Event Start in Google Calendar it finds several entries…

...which it separates, and then at the next step, Append Entry and Schedule Digest, it only works with the one entry highlighted in the previous step.

It doesn’t seem like it should be that difficult but I’m puling my hair out.

I just want it to publish in Slack as:

Heres what’s on next week:

Event 1, 01/01/2000

Event 2, 02/01/2000

Event 3, blah blah blah

Etc.

All advice welcome, thank you.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello @Beck, welcome to the Community! 🙂

Ah, I think this is the expected behaviour here. When setting up the Zap it’s only possible to select a single test sample even though multiple samples may have been loaded in. The information in the selected sample is then used in the subsequent actions in the Zap for testing purposes. 

Once the Zap is switched on, each time it triggers it will add another event to the digest. It will continue to add additional events to the digest but won’t release them until the scheduled digest release time. Then a new digest will be created and the process will repeat again.

If you’d like to add multiple events to the digest so you can check they’ve been added correctly before turning on the Zap, you’ll need to:

• Go to the Google Calendar trigger, select a different sample event in the Zap. Event A for example.
  • Then test the Digest action again to add it to the digest. 
  • Go back to the Google Calendar trigger, and select another sample event. Event B for example.
  • Next, test that Digest action again.

Then, on the results of that Digest action test it should show that each of those events were added to the digest.

Hope that helps. Please do let us know if you run into any further trouble on this. Want to make sure you’re all set here!