Question

webhook to airtable - create/update

• 23 November 2020
  • 4 replies

I’m evaluating Zapier to receive shop data and update the price and quantity for products in airtable. 

I got it working for Create record and with 1 webhook was populating the airtable but with create it would keep adding onto the airtable. I want it to update the airtable.

I read through your documentation, that I need to perform an update function and when I set it up it was only updating 1 row based on what I selected from the test. I want it to update all the rows but its only doing 1 row.

Is what I’m trying to do even possible? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

[ADVANCED]

Possible: Yes

This would require using the Airtable APIs: https://airtable.com/api

You’d need to retrieve the list of records to update.

Then iterate (loop) thru the records and update each.

Likely need to use a Code step or a Webhook step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @pippa 

While you can dive into the airtable API and build it custom there is no need. The functionality you are looking for already exist. It is only updating the 1 record because the update function needs to be told what record to update. 

Replace your “Create Record” action with a “Find Record” action. This will search for a record first and return the record information if found. If it is not found you can elect to create the record.

The next step will be the “Update Record” action where you can pass it the record ID from the search step

Hi @pippa 

While you can dive into the airtable API and build it custom there is no need. The functionality you are looking for already exist. It is only updating the 1 record because the update function needs to be told what record to update. 

Replace your “Create Record” action with a “Find Record” action. This will search for a record first and return the record information if found. If it is not found you can elect to create the record.

The next step will be the “Update Record” action where you can pass it the record ID from the search step

This ultimately what I need to do but I have been running into issues where the test gets an error like in the ‘find’ step doesn’t return what I’m looking for. The find step pulls info so in the update step you can select “ID: rec1234”.

Do you have an screenshot or documentation of how to set up a “Find Record” step? Zapier’s documentation lacks details.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@pippa 

It will depend on what you have available from your trigger step. 

You will need to set it up to look at the specific base & table and then tell Zapier to search for something unique that is on the table and returned from the trigger step. What would be a unique column on your airtable? Maybe the Product name?