Best answer

"We couldn’t find a document" error

• 20 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Beginner
  • 16 replies

I am trying to “create a new document from template” in Google docs. Like here: (https://zapier.com/apps/google-docs/tutorials/create-autopopulate-google-docs-template), but my trigger is a new spreadsheet row. So new row in google sheets > Create a new document from a template. 

My problem is that Zapier can’t see any of the docx templates that i have in my Google drive folder. When it comes to the step to find the template document I get the error “No options available”. 

Curious about this, I tried another zap with Google docs to see if Zapier could see any of my Google docs. I just wanted to see if any doc at all could be “read” by Zapier. For that zap I got an error “We couldn’t find a document” error. 

I have multiple docx files in the folder I am directing Zapier too. Is there something I need to do to these documents so they can be “read” by Zapier, to be able to use them for the “create a new document from template" action? Thanks

icon

Best answer by HGW 20 October 2020, 20:39

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try instead to get the ID of the GDoc Template and use that in the Zap for the File you are trying to find/use.

Plus, this ought to save you a step in the Zap.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I seem to have the same problem as this user:

(I am not using “team” drive by the way, just my regular google drive associated with my google account)..

But I ALSO cannot perform the workaround suggested there to add the template via custom ID, as there is no option to add the ID under “custom”. I think the user interface must have changed? Please see screenshot to see what I mean. 

Can somebody please tell me how/where exactly to put  in the document ID for this step worksaround? I tried pasting it directly but that didn’t work either.

Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

When Custom is selected, you can insert static values here:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update: I think I figured out the problem.

I had all of my template documents within another folder in my google drive.

I had to take them out of that folder and put them in my general google docs root folder.

When they are in the root folder zapier can read them. When they are in any sub folder zapier cannot read them. This makes it disorganized, but at least I can get zapier to read my template docs now. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

When Custom is selected, you can insert static values here:

So the place to put in the document ID is in the gray space ABOVE the other fields. That is very tricky and not great user interface. I didn’t even see that there. Even with the photo you added it took me several minutes to understand how what you are suggesting is any different than what I did. Really not intuitive at all. But I finally get it. Thanks.