Question

Using Zapier to integrate TASKS in Salesforce and Notion

• 29 June 2023
  • 9 replies

I am working on an integration between Salesforce and Notion for Tasks and could use advice in creating/fixing the Zaps for integrating TASKS in Salesforce and Notion.  I am unable to sync/access the Account or the Assignee from Salesforce and add it to the Task.  Does anyone know if this can be done?

Details:

I have created the first of the necessary Zaps, which is adding a Task in Notion when a new Task is created in Salesforce. The Task is created in Notion successfully, but I am unable to sync two important fields. Neither "Account" name nor "Assignee" appear to be available to sync. The Support Bot indicated that it was possible, but I cannot find a way.

I have created three Steps in my Zap. 
1. A Trigger when a new Task record is created; 
2. A Filter looking for "open" Tasks: and 
3. Create Database item in Notion 

Unfortunately, during #3, there is no option to add the Account, or Assignee.  These are critical.  I can think of a workaround for Assignee (I could do a different Zap for each Assignee, filter for that Assignee and explicitly assign it).  But the Account owner has me lost.

Matt

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MMonteyne 

Good question.

Often linked objects in Salesforce return the Object ID.

If those are present, then you would need to add additional Zap steps to Find the Object by ID to get the desired values from the Object.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Otherwise, please post detailed screenshots with all the data points returned from Step 1 to give us more context.

I can get the object IDs!  My current Zap actually populates Notion with Account ID.  I just can’t figure out where to go from there.  I am not a Zapier expert by any stretch.  

See the attached screenshot.  I created an Account field in Notion, but when I look at my options from Salesforce, I only have the Account Id.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MMonteyne 

Add 2 steps after the Filter and before Notion.

One step to find Account by ID

One step to find Assignee (might be the ‘User’ Object) by ID.

Then map the returned results to the Notion step.

This worked!  Thanks for the help!

The Assigned is still a work in progress, as Notion seems to want to be passed it’s uuid.  May be a way to do that, but in the meantime, easy workarounds for that.

I now need to figure out the reverse so I can match changes and deletions out of Notion

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MMonteyne 

FYI: Beware of creating an infinite loop with 2-way data syncs via Zaps: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495908569613

Thank you for this.  Realizing it will be hard.

I am actually ok with one way.  However, I am trying to figure out how to get a Delete in SF to remove the Notion one.  I am ok if the SF tasks need to be managed in SF, but having to delete in both places is a mess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MMonteyne 

Generally Zap app integrations don’t expose the destructive endpoints (e.g. Delete) as those could easily be misused in Zap automations and cause unintended data loss.

You generally have to use advanced approaches involving app APIs and webhooks to configure that logic.