Question

Using zapier to create texting tree automation for customers. Best practices?

• 29 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Have you ever used zapier to make a texting tree before? What have you learned?

I'm going to make a texting automation using zapier so that I can get reviews, get information from customers, etc. 

example: It would send a text saying “text back yes if you think we deserve 5 stars, or no if you don’t”

Then when they send back yes, it would send a text inviting them to leave a review with the link. Texting back no might prompt customer service to get involved, etc.

Obviously I would be using filters and paths with zapier to accomplish this mainly. I will use clicksend for the texting (although many texting applications would do), and hubspot is my crm. I will use hubspot properties to define “gates” that customers would pass through once they text a response, that way I could use the word “yes” again to mean something completely different.

My question is, has anyone used zapier to do something like this before? What are the best practices when doing so?

There are all sorts of problems that could come from customers texting back in a way that was unpredictable. My hope is to create an “idiot” proof system so that even if the customer misunderstands and texts back wrongly or untimely, the system would handle it gracefully.

For instance, one thing that concerns me is if someone texts back yes, but then the zap response isn’t immediate, so they text back yes AGAIN, perhaps triggering another zap I didn’t mean to trigger yet.  They were trying to reaffirm their yes to the first question, not the 2nd. Maybe I should add a delay that would not allow them to rapid fire responses?

If you’ve done this before, what have you learned? What should I look out for? Thanks for your help!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Volz Method Piano Lessons Let’s see if we can get this taken care of for you! 

My first question is, did you have an app in mind for this and have you considered using Twilio? Knowing all of the apps you intend to use can help me look into whether they will be triggered and actioned immediately or at a scheduled interval.