Question

Using Zap to Update Google Calendar Based on an Updated Google Form Entry

• 12 December 2022
  • 6 replies

I’ve created a simple Zap to create a Google Calendar entry based on an input from a Goggle Form.  The Zap seems to be working.  I would also like to create a Zap that updates the Google Calendar Event when the Google Form entry is updated or modified.

I’ve tried to create a Zap using  “New or Updated Form Response in Google Forms” as a trigger to “Update Event in Google Calendar” but am having issues getting it to work.  The steps outlined by Zap were:

1. New or Updated Form Response in Google Forms
  2. Find Event in Google Calendar
  3. Update Event in Google Calendar

I keep running into an issue when in step 3 it requires me to identify the event I want to update...it seems to be making me choose a specific event title.  I identified the event in Step 2.  If I enter a specific event in Step 3 it seems to only update that event and not the event being updated from the Google Form update.

Can anyone provide some recommendations or an explanation of identifying the Event in Step 3.  I’m new to using Zaps and I think this should be easy so I must be missing something.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Curt

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Curt Carter! Thanks for reaching out in community!

Hmm, so the Find event step will give you an event ID, and you can use that as a Custom Value in the ‘Event’ field in the Update step (instead of the “Event Title”), and the step will update the event that was just found. 

Are you able to give that a shot and see if it works? 🙂

Here’s a little article on custom values if you’re curious!

Christina,

I’ll give that a shot.  I do have a question though.  When you use the event ID won’t that only be good for one specific event?  I’d like the Zap to update any event that is changed/updated via the Google Form.

Thanks in advance for any clarification/advice!!

Respectfully,

Curt

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Curt Carter!

On the contrary, using the event ID creates a dynamic lookup value that changes every time the Zap runs. That said, you want to be sure you’re selecting the ID from the step 2 data, not typing it in manually. See screenshots below for where to pull it from.

But also, a question for you: what are you using at the search term in step 2? That could potentially be part of the problem as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @Curt Carter - checking in with how you’re getting along with your Zap? Let me know if you need anything to help you along, we’re here! 

Best- Rachael

Rachael and Todd

Thanks for checking back.  That did work!  But I’ve now realized this is considered a multi-step Zap.  Unfortunately I was working this for our small not-for-profit organization (Gruene Harley-Davidson Owners Group Chapter 2062) and we were only trying to automate our activity calendar entries/updates.  I don’t think we’ll be able to afford $240 year to use one single and one multi-step Zap. Basically we were hoping to work within the Basic Free Tier.

If you know a way to do this without a multi-step Zap, please let me know.  I have really appreciated your help.  Thanks, again!

Curt

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey @Curt Carter  - unfortunately, there is no way for you to be able to update an existing Google Calendar event from a Google form with just 1 step :/ 

You would be able to create a brand new event from a Google form -- but nothing that would need the search step - the free plan just doesn’t have the oomph needed to carry it. 

Let me know though if you’d like and I can reset your 14 day trial to give you some more time to test things out with premium features - also, you may want to check out our non-profit discount program: https://zapier.com/non-profits