Question

Using Form Responses to Create Junction Table to Calculate Assembly Cost

• 16 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I asked this question on the Airtable forum a few days ago with no response yet.  Maybe someone here has run into this issue and has a suggested solution.

https://community.airtable.com/t/using-form-responses-to-create-junction-table-to-calculate-assembly-cost/33523

The most basic description of the issue is that forms return data horizontally (one row, many columns), when performing calculations, you want to work with data vertically (many rows, some columns), and there is no transpose function within Airtable to my knowledge.

Currently, we have a manual work around by copy/paste a single row or export/import csv for entire table from our form data table into Google sheets, then transpose, then re-copy and paste back data into our BOM table.  I would like to be able to automate this but haven’t been successful yet.  The automation steps seem to want to create a single record/single row.  I haven’t fully explored using a multi-step zap, but with 50+ items chosen on the form, the concept of a 50-step zap to do what a simple copy/paste does manually seems inefficient even if it is automated.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @cyclemonkey 

First up - per your Airtable post, it is possible to map a linked record in Zapier, you just need to use the underlying record ID.

Overall, I think you’ll have trouble solving this with Zapier - as you’ve pointed out, the only real way to do this involves a lot of steps - very inefficient! There isn’t any shortcut method I can think of.

That said, I’m going to flag this for the community team, as I know there are people out there with more Airtable experience than me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @cyclemonkey!

I realized that we didn’t follow up with you on this. Since this was a little while ago, I wanted to check in to see if you’d managed to solve this or whether you still needed help here. Please let us know!