Best answer

Use Looping to find share links in certain Google Drive folders and Send Channel Message with links in Discord

• 26 May 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello and have a nice evening,

I'm looking for a way to iterate through all of the folders in a previously identified folder. I want to make the contents of several folders available as share links on Discord in targeted channels.

I have currently achieved the following:

• The destination folder is determined.
  • There are several weekly folders in the target folder, the newest of which is determined.

Here's what I imagined, but couldn't find anything to implement it:

• A loop that goes through that folder in the previously determined week folder.
    • If there is a document in the folder, the share link for the file should be determined.
    • Check on Discord if a channel with the folder name exists. If this is available, the link should be sent in it.
      • With the name for Discord it must be noted that spaces are replaced by a "-" and all letters are automatically written in lower case.

• If possible, it should also be possible to define an optional variable for all customers in front of the discord name. As for example "testchannel-name1" in this case "testchannel" is the optional variable and is automatically inserted in the name, which should be searched for later in Discord.

I know that this is a relatively large summary, but I don't need a 1-to-1 guide, just hints how and whether you can solve this with Zapier.

Thank you for reading through and thank you in advance for the help! Regards

Kay

icon

Best answer by MarinaH 2 June 2021, 00:32

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hey @Kay!

Thanks for writing into the Community with such a detailed request 👍

None of the Google Drive triggers would return all of the folders or files in a particular folder, so I don’t think you could use a Looping action here unfortunately. 

You could check out the available Google Drive triggers here to see if you could use any of these to identify each of the “weekly folders” you describe, in their own Zap run: https://zapier.com/apps/google-drive/integrations#triggers-and-actions - this will be what starts the Zap. 

For example,

Trigger: New File in Google Drive

Action: Find Channel in Discord 

Action: Send Channel Message in Discord (using the share URL of the file that triggered the Zap)

I am not sure if that covers some of the needs for this more complex workflow, but let the Community know how that goes if you give it a try!