Upload Google Slide template action - how to remove placeholders if no data

• 20 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everybody, 

I need help for my Zap : 

• Trigger : new record in airtable
  • Action : upload a template in google slide

I have created {{placeholders}} which are perfectly filled with informations from airtable. The problem is : when an information is not given in Airtable (the trigger), I would like my {{placeholder}} to be deleted from the final google slide. Instead, I got, for example, {{mail}} that remains in the slide. Do you know how could I configure Zapier to delete {{placeholders}} which contains no data.

Thanks for your help ! 

Franck 

icon

Best answer by SamB 22 September 2021, 15:21

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Bezufranck

Try using a Formatter > Text > Default Value step in the Zap.

https://zapier.com/help/create/format/set-default-values-for-blank-fields-in-zaps

You could try adding a custom Code step that evaluates if the value from Airtable is null, and if so replace that with a single space, which would be invisible on the GSlides and should remove the {{placeholder}}.

https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Hi there!  

@Bezufranck @Troy Tessalone

I am having the same issue as my blank cells (more than 20) from Google Sheets are still displaying the placeholder in my Google Docs Template.

I originally assumed that formulas that return blank results, should display as empty strings?

I’ve tried formatting the blank cells to replace with [:space:] and it still displays the placeholder.

Would it be best to resort to Javascript?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just wanted to jump in here to confirm that using a Formatter (Text > Default Value) step to replace blank values with a [:space:] won’t work. 

Space characters will still cause the field to be recognised as blank/empty and result in the placeholder name appearing. 

An alternative would be to use a Formatter (Text > Default Value) action to replace blank values with a value like Unknown. This would result in the word Unknown being added to the slide. Not ideal, but may be preferable to the placeholder name from appearing.