Skip to main content
Best answer

Upload Folders withs SubFolders into Clio

• 11 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello, 

I am trying to create a zap that I would think should be easy but I can’t figure it out. I have a zap that when a new client initial consultation is made through Calendly, multiple zaps occur including creating a new matter into Clio, my practice management software. One of the events I want to occur is that I want folders to be created in the matter that contain subfolders (such as “Prepared Documents” as the main folder and then subfolders that have “Initiating Documents” or “Service Documents” or for example, “Letters” as the main folder and then “From Client” or “From Opposing Party” as the subfolders). It is easy to create new folders using Clio but there is no way to create the subfolders. My workaround was going to be through either Google Drive or Dropbox where I can create these main folders with subfolders templates and then try to get them uploaded to the client’s Clio Matter using the action “Upload Document to Matter in Clio.” When I try to upload anything from the main folder I created in Google Drive or Dropbox, it uploads as jumbled text and not the actual folders themselves. This process would also be useful in other situations in my workflow and I would be very appreciative if anyone knows how to solve this.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Joski 

To help us have true context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured, thanks.

Here is a screenshot of the folder template I created in Dropbox - “Prepared Documents” is a folder that contains subfolders
This is where I am now trying to upload that main folder into the client’s matter into the “Documents” section of the matter. The next image is the dropdown of my “Find Folder in Dropbox” step.
I could scroll down more but nothing works to upload the main folder with its subfolders. This is the same if I try these steps using Google Drive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Joski 

As far as I’m aware, you can’t upload a Folder with all the Files from Dropbox/GDrive/etc. to Clio using the Upload Document Zap action.

You may want to consider providing a link from Clio to the Client/Matter Dropbox/GDrive Folder.

Or come up with a system to watch 1 Folder and parse a file naming convention to then be able to upload the file to the correct Matter in Clio.

Thank you so much for your help. Although not what I wanted to read, you saved me a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this on my own. 

I have an even lower threshold issue that should be no big deal but seems to be impossible. I too want subfolders created in client matter folders. there is no way to standardize this so I am using zapier to try. I CANNOT for the life of me get zapier to make a folder under a client matter folder. I have tried the custom action feature. I have tried the api feature. I keep getting a bearer token failure (401). Clio says this is zapier’s fault, zapier says this clio’s fault. I even created a clio dev account to get around this. no dice. SOMEONE has got to have figured this out right?

Yeah seems like a pretty simple one but to no avail. What I am going to do is to have the Zap create the main folders and then with the document automation feature, have the document category as the subfolder. So for instance, Zap main folder as “Prepared Documents”, then document automation for my initial pleadings under “Initiating Documents” for category. It will show up in the document tab and then just have to move it manually to the “Prepared Documents” folder. Not elegant but the best I can think of. Another option is to create your main folder(s) with subfolder(s) template on your hard drive or iCloud and then manually drag and drop the folders into the documents tab, obviously not utilizing Zapier, unfortunately. Hopefully someone does figure this out - I would imagine this is useful in other areas too - Asana, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Bests of luck.