Best answer

Updating the Google worksheet created from previous step

• 10 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi guys! Please help.

I am trying to automate creating a new spreadsheet from a template for each of my client. I was able to successfully create a new sheet from a template but now I need to update some rows on this new sheet created. I have selected the sheet from custom step 2 (create spreadsheet).

icon

Best answer by Limbic 10 February 2021, 16:22

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Limbic 

When first creating this workflow, you will need to manually select all options in the drop downs rather than dynamically selecting the spreadsheet as you’ve done above. Once you’ve set everything up so the fields are mapped correctly and sent a test run you can then switch to inserting dynamic data into the spreadsheet ID and worksheet ID dropdowns. 

Zapier will then show you that there are “extra fields” and ask if you want to remove them. Ignore that prompt and run another test and you should see that it’s all set up! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Limbic 

This is a known issue - but luckily there is a workaround.

If you first set the ‘Spreadsheet’ dropdown to select the specific spreadsheet with the same columns, you’ll be able to map the fields.

Once you’ve done that, go back to custom - and even though it looks like the mapping is broken, it will work when switched live.

I made this guide:

Userlevel 1

@Limbic

This is a known issue - but luckily there is a workaround.

If you first set the ‘Spreadsheet’ dropdown to select the specific spreadsheet with the same columns, you’ll be able to map the fields.

Once you’ve done that, go back to custom - and even though it looks like the mapping is broken, it will work when switched live.

I made this guide:

OMG you guys are lifesavers! Thank you!

Userlevel 1

I tried this and it did work, but now how do I change the values? There’s no way to map this dynamically.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Limbic 

When setting it up initially you will need to follow our directions above. When selecting the spreadsheet, you need to find the newly created spreadsheet in the dropdown list, not pass in the id of the spreadsheet. 

That should let Zapier pull the spreadsheet columns so you can fill the cells with data from your trigger step. 

Once the cells are filled with dynamic data, you can switch to putting in the Spreadsheet ID and worksheet ID from step 2. It will look like everything is broken but it is not! 

Userlevel 1

Oh I see! Let me try now! Thank you again!