Question

Updating existing Data from Stripe Subscribers in Google Spreadsheets

• 26 September 2023
  • 7 replies

Hey all!

I have created a Zap that adds rows into my Google Spreadsheet with Stripe Customer Data. It triggers on a New Subscriber.

I'm getting the following Payment Data from Stripe:

Now, I want to make another Zap that updates this Payment Data every month when a New Payment happens from an existing Stripe Subscriber (someone who is subscribed to a monthly plan). 

I just don't know which Trigger from Stripe I should add.
- Do I have to use the New Payment in Stripe Trigger for this use case?
- Do I have to add any conditional checks to make sure the Customer exists before proceeding with looking up the data, retrieving the data, making the calculation and updating the rows in Google Spreadsheets with the new calculated data?

The Data I lookup from the Document is in a Currency format (Euros), I'm wondering how I can add this Currency with the Currency amount of the second Payment together. I tried using the Format Action but this requires a number and does not work with a Currency, I tried checking if I can Format it from Currency to Number, do my Add calculation and back from Number to Currency but can't seem to find this option.

I can't see the difference to make my conditional check because we have not yet received the second Payment from our Stripe Monthly Subscribers.

Thanks for your help!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @julienvandorland 

Good question.

You may want to consider using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable has these field types that may be useful: https://support.airtable.com/docs/supported-field-types-in-airtable-overview

• Currency
  • Link
    • Used to link records across Tables
  • Formula
  • Rollup

Hi @julienvandorland 

Good question.

You may want to consider using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable has these field types that may be useful: https://support.airtable.com/docs/supported-field-types-in-airtable-overview

• Currency
  • Link
    • Used to link records across Tables
  • Formula
  • Rollup
  •  

Hey @Troy Tessalone 

Google Spreadsheets isn't really the issue here. That works just fine. I can try out Airtable and replace it if it works better and gives me more options.

My problem is with the first Stripe trigger as I'm not sure which one I should use for this use case. I have to get the Payment Data from already existing Stripe Subscribers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@julienvandorland 

Have you reviewed the descriptions for the Stripe triggers?

https://zapier.com/apps/stripe/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Hey @Troy Tessalone 

Yes, of course

d4b43a9d36840856a34a869f90bb91d3.png

Doesn't tell me anything if this is being triggered for New Payments from Existing Subscribers or New Subscribers. I want to only Trigger New Payments from Existing Subscribers because I'm doing an "Add'’ calculation with this Zap to update my data and than post it into a Google Spreadsheet.

If it catches New Payments from Existing Subscribers AND New Subscribers when they make their first payment, it will ruin the calculation and final data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@julienvandorland 

There are a lot of data points returned from Stripe.

I believe one data point will indicate the type of payment. (e.g. subscription updated, etc.)

You can then use that as a Filter step condition: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Hey @Troy Tessalone 

I know that I can use the Filter step condition, I just don't know which data point I should use from Stripe for my use case. Do you know which one I should use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @julienvandorland,

It looks like you’ve reached out to our Support Team about this and they replied today with a suggestion. I’ll share details of the suggestion here in case it’s helpful:

hope you are well today!

I located the copy Zap, and the data is a line-item, so instead of split text use Utilities > Line-Item to Text, like this:

43fc074d21ef43a69df5d476c4d11bbc.png
(view larger)

This will also return the amount in separate fields in one single step. 

Let me know if you have any questions or encounter any roadblocks!

If you’ve got any questions regarding their suggestion it would be best to continue the conversation with them over email.

Thank you for your understanding.