Question

Updating between Google Sheets and Looking Up Tabs

• 5 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

How do I make the following happen?

I have a Google Sheet “X” that is shared by others and is updated every week with new tabs.

I would like to be able to search “X” to find the new tab and search the rows to find “words” and when it does find it output the row into another Google Sheet that is just for my reference.

The “words” will appear up to 6 times and I would like for this to run once a week.

Is this possible?

TIA!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @PBF, welcome to the Community! 🙂

The Google Sheets app has a New Worksheet trigger which would allow your Zap to trigger whenever a new tab is added to the spreadsheet. A Lookup Spreadsheet Row search action would be able to search a column for a specific value. Then you could have a Create Spreadsheet Row action add the desired information to your other spreadsheet for reference.

One thing to note on the search step is that it’s not possible to set it to search for any value. It needs to be a specific value. So if you’re wanting the Zap to run whenever any new rows are added to the new worksheet, you would need to create a different Zap using a New Spreadsheet Row trigger and set it to look at the new worksheet. It needs to have the worksheet selected, as you wouldn’t be able to set it to trigger for rows added to any of the worksheets in the spreadsheet. So, when a new worksheet is added you might want to instead have an action that sends you a notification by email, Slack message etc. that a new worksheet was added so you can then set up a Zap to trigger on new spreadsheet rows that are added to that worksheet. 

Does that sound like it could work for your use case here?

Userlevel 1

Thank you. Is there a way to get it to automatically delete some rows too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yes @PBF, that’s possible too! 😀

The Google Sheets app has a Delete Spreadsheet Row action which would allow you to delete a specific row.

I’d be super cautious when using that sort of action though. As it’s a delete action, you’d want to make sure the Zap is definitely set up correctly to search for and will delete the right row. You don’t want to have it accidentally deleting the wrong rows! 😬

You’ll want to reference the Row or ID number when selecting which row to delete. To do that you’ll need to select the Custom value option from the dropdown menu on the Row field and select the row Row/ID from the relevant previous action (presumably that will be the Lookup Spreadsheet Row action). I’d recommend checking out our Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps guide for more details on how to use custom values.

Hope that helps. Please do let us know how you get on with this!