Question

Updating a column in Excel doesn't add the info to the right Record in Airtable

• 12 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello everyone! 

I’ve an Excel sheet where a certain column will be updated once in a while. Let’s say that the Excel sheet contains 20 unique rows and the column can be updated for each row separately. 

I want this to be updated on the Records in Airtable, but as of now the updated information is only visible on 1 Record, so it’s like each time the Zap fires it updates the same Record in Airtable. 

Here are pictures of the Zap: 

So here is the Trigger Column ‘Skjul?’

I let the Zap find the Record in Airtable based on the Name of the row in Excel 

Here we can see that the ‘Fejl’ field in Airtable will be updated based on the Column in Excel. However the Record ID is wrong, and that’s where I think the error occurs. 

How do I fix this so that Zapier updates the right Record in Airtable?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @plyske 

Good question.

You should use a dynamically mapped variable for the Record ID from the previous step instead of a static value.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey, @Troy Tessalone 

Thanks for getting back! 

So just to be sure, I should use one of these variables instead: 

Or would it be better to have the ‘Update Record in Airtable’ look for a variable in Excel? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@plyske 

In Zap Step 2, you are using Airtable Find Record.

In Zap Step 3, you are using Airtable Update Record.

It’s likely that you want to use the returned Record ID from Step 2 to indicate which record to Update in Step 3.

Userlevel 1
Badge

But isn’t that what I’ve been doing the whole time? 

If you look at the pictures, that’s the Record ID showing in Step 3 of the Zap. So what’s the difference?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@plyske 

Taking your screenshot example...

Record has a static value.

Feji has a dynamic variable mapped.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@plyske

In Zap Step 2, you are using Airtable Find Record.

In Zap Step 3, you are using Airtable Update Record.

It’s likely that you want to use the returned Record ID from Step 2 to indicate which record to Update in Step 3.

Hey there, @plyske! I wanted to swing by and see how you were getting along with this? 🙂

To piggy back off what Troy mentioned - the static variable essentially means every time this zap runs it will look for that exact record.

Whereas if you map the dynamic variable from the previous step as shown in the screenshot he shared, it will change accordingly based on  the mapped field.

Keep us posted! 🤗