Question

Update Notion field number from another field

• 20 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi, i hope you are good, after some research, I have to use zap to automate what I want. 

I would like to update my notion database for fitness. The aim of this zap is to update the “last weight” value by copying the value of “actual weight”.

When I make the zap, I choose the trigger Zapier Schedule Every Day, then, in the field of “last weight” I can’t choose the field/columns of “actuel weight”. If I put an number like 13 for example , it work but I can’t choose an dynamic source “actual weight” in the field. 

I look for an solution and I think I have to use the search action like find “database item” to get actual value in the database. But I can’t do it 

Thanks in advance

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @YasinGS! 👋

If I’m understanding correctly here, you’re looking to get the value that’s currently in the “Actual Weight” field so you can use that for the “Last Weight” field in an Update Database Item in your Zap. Is that right? 

If so, I wonder if the Find Database Item action would be able to retrieve that info. If it does, in your Update Database Item action you would select the “Actual Weight” from that Find Database Item action for the “Last Weight” field.

Want to give that a go and let us know if that does the trick?

Exactly but when I test the Find Database Item, I get an error : In the set up action, do i have to let the field blank ?

Poids actuel = Actual Weight

Dernier poids = Last Weight

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @YasinGS 

I have done the same thing you are trying to do but in Airtable instead of Notion. 

First, how are you inserting the data into Notion? (current weight)

Second, you would need a Checkbox field to determine that this is actually the Latest Weight. Then using find and update actions you would unblock the previous weight and click the new weight. 

Does that make sense? 

Hi @YasinGS 

I have done the same thing you are trying to do but in Airtable instead of Notion. 

First, how are you inserting the data into Notion? (current weight)

Second, you would need a Checkbox field to determine that this is actually the Latest Weight. Then using find and update actions you would unblock the previous weight and click the new weight. 

Does that make sense? 

I would like to stay in Notion

Manually during my workout

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This is still doable in the same way I described. 

This is still doable in the same way I described. 

When I do Checkbox, the weight value is removed, or I have to add a new column ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi again @YasinGS

I’d have thought that you’d add the checkbox into a new column and use it to indicate that the last weight column needs to be updated by the Zap. Then the Zap could use a Filter by Zapier action action to check whether the checkbox is selected, use an Update Database Item to copy the value into the necessary column and unselect the checkbox.  

That said, I can’t speak for @MohSwellam here, they may have had a different plan in mind! 🙂