Best answer

Update existing file - Google drives?

• 28 December 2020
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Beginner
  • 16 replies

I’ve googled this and can’t find the answer. Wondering if you can update information on an already existing google document?

For example, let’s say that when you onboard a client (via “onboarding form”), an information sheet about that client gets automatically created CLIENTINFO.doc - with name, email, address. Let’s say that at later date, the client fills out another form, asking them even more info (ie “more client info form”) - like their favorite color and their birthday. 

Is it possible that the doc you created (CLIENTINFO.doc) from the first trigger (“onboarding form”) can be automatically updated with the new information from the 2nd trigger (“more client info form”)?

Because I want to keep the information I already put on that first CLIENTINFO.doc, and have a document that has BOTH their name, email address, AND their favorite color and birthday.

So ONE document that gets continually updated as new information comes in from new spreadsheet rows. 

Possible? 

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 28 December 2020, 20:58

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You’d be better off using a GSheet or CRM for this type of requirement instead of a GDoc.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well the gsheet / CRM would be the TRIGGER.

But the RESULT would be an updated gDoc. Does that make sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes, makes sense, but not sure you’ll be able to update the GDoc as you’ve described since these are the only available Actions via Zapier.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I guess a better question is: Can ANY trigger cause an existing google doc to be updated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

TBD: A workaround might be to create a new GDoc and replace the existing file using GDrive.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok, I guess not then :( Thanks for answering. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I guess a better question is: Can ANY trigger cause an existing google doc to be updated?

It’s not the trigger that matters, it’s the available GDoc/GDrive actions.

Userlevel 1
Badge

TBD: A workaround might be to create a new GDoc and replace the existing file using GDrive.

Yes, but with this action, the contents of the original file are lost, no? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Replacing would overwrite file contents.

Essentially it creates a new GDoc and delete the original GDoc.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s not the trigger that matters, it’s the available GDoc/GDrive actions.

Yes exactly, that’s why I said ANY trigger. I felt like we were discussing the trigger, when all I care about is the action. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sounds like you just need to create a new GDoc from Template if the GSheet Row is Updated.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok, then I guess a more basic work around is to create a new document for each new piece of information, rather than try to have the same document updated. So rather than have CLIENTINFO.doc continuously updated, have CLIENTINFO1.doc created from first trigger the CLIENTINFO2.doc created for next trigger, etc. Not as streamlined, but a workaround. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well Ideally I just had ONE document created from template, and then continuously updated with new information, as the new information was gathered (in various ways). But it’s not possible I see. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @HGW!

I think the workaround that @Troy Tessalone suggested could work. So instead of updating CLIENTINFO.doc with new information, you could create CLIENTINFO1.doc, then replace CLIENTINFO.doc with it. That way you could create those separate docs somewhere to have as a sort of versioning system, then update that one main file so that it will always be the most up-to-date. 

So something like this:

Trigger: Google Sheets - Updated Row (your form could update a single row, with each column representing a piece of info you get from them)
Action: Google Docs - Create Document from Template (using all the columns in that row)
Action: Google Drive - Replace File (using the doc you just created)

This means that you have one row that contains everything, so when the Zap is triggered you can use all of the information you’ve got. Creating the template itself might be a bit tricky, though. So, yes, it’s a workaround but maybe one that could be functional :)

I guess one question is whether the information sheet is necessary, or maybe there’s a different way to do it. Like using a CRM, or even better Airtable (since it’s like Google Sheets) and their Page Designer app (formerly called blocks).