Question

Update database item between Tally and Notion

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to use Zapier to feed a from from Tally into a Notion database. I’d like for it to update existing database records, and preferably, I’d like for it to update by field, so that if someone leaves a field blank, it will keep it the same as it was in the previous submission. Is that possible at all?

For example we are asking people to say what Vacation dates they have coming up, and we know people will get tired of typing the same info every week for a month or two.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @BevBar,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I wouldn’t anticipate that being a problem!

Here is how I see the Zap for the workflow that you have in mind:

1. Trigger: Tally (New Response)
  2. Action: Notion (Find or Create Database)
  3. Action: Notion (Update Database)

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Userlevel 1

That’s what I did, but it didn’t work. Can someone look at my zap and help me figure out where I went wrong?

Userlevel 1

Here’s a SS of what it is now. I can expand out if that helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @BevBar - in this case I think expanding the entries would assist @ken.a and I in seeing where you may be missing something with your Zap creation. 

Looking forward to hearing your response!

-Rachael

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @BevBar!

Is the Zap triggering on new submissions, but then not updating the Notion database item? Or does it only partially work?

If so, based on your screenshot, your Zap appears to be set up correctly.

Can you elaborate on what’s not working, exactly?

Userlevel 1

It did not update, it created a new record.

Also though -- even if it does update a record does it update field by field or does it wipe all the fields that are left blank?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @BevBar,

I see that you mentioned the record being created instead of updated. After reviewing the screenshot of your Notion setup, it appears that you have the "Create Notion Database Item if it doesn't exist yet?" checkbox selected. If you don't want the Zap to create a new record when it already exists in Notion, I recommend unchecking that checkbox. This will ensure that the Zap updates the existing record instead.

2857e0f3d912d166628c22c8311c5c33.png
(view larger)

Also, regarding your question: 

Also though -- even if it does update a record does it update field by field or does it wipe all the fields that are left blank?

The Zap will solely update the fields that you have mapped in the action step. It won't modify any other fields in the process.

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Userlevel 1

Unchecking that box did not solve the problem. It still created a new record. Top one is the second one I created, just after I did the first one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @BevBar,

Thanks for trying that out.

Unfortunately, I have exhausted my resources, and I couldn’t replicate this issue on my end. I recommend opening a ticket to our Support team so that they can take a closer look at the Zap and its logs and determine the root cause of the issue.

You can reach our Support team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Thank you for your understanding!