Question

Update/Create Zoho lead entry with conditions

• 12 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi All, 
I am looking to improve a zap between Acuity (or fb lead gen) and Zoho CRM. 
Currently, the zap triggers when a form comes in and creates or updates a lead entry in Zoho CRM. The logic is simple, search for a duplicate entry by email, update the entry if found. If no entry is found, create a new one. 

The issue: When updating the entry, I need to leave some fields unchanged. Updating the entry should only add appointment date and time. Everything else should remain as is. When creating a new entry I need to update all fields.

In Zoho flow this is achieved by doing a “fetch lead” → “update module entry” → on error → “create lead”
Is there a way to recreate this using a Zap?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @LongTail!

If you use the Zoho CRM action Find Lead action, that gives you the option to create one there’s not an existing match. In that step you can add all of the information that you need into the new lead. For the Update Lead step, if you only include the appointment date and time fields in the action, that’s all that will get updated

If you’ve tried that and it’s not working the way that you need, let us know as there are a couple of other options we can try. If you do, please include screenshots of your action steps and explain exactly what isn’t working as you want it to, thanks! Don’t forget to remove or obscure any personal or private information in any screenshot you share in the community (eg full name, email address, etc).

​I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any questions!

Thank you for getting back to me. 
Is this what it is supposed to look like? (you can disregard the 2nd step):

Using find module on its own, does not do anything. So, I assume after that you need to add the “update module entry”, which only updates if the previous step found an entry?
If not entry was found in the previous step, and I had selected the “Create new entry”, a new entry will be created and the last step will not be executed. Is this the case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey@LongTail, just stepping in for Danvers here! It does look like you have this set up correctly in terms of triggers/actions and the order of steps. To answer your question, the last step will run, regardless, each time but will only update the fields you specify. During times when a new record is created because one isn’t found, ALL fields will be filled in when creating the entry and then SOME fields will be updated when the “Updated” step runs. However, the updates aren’t really updates in that case as they are updating the fields with data that was already populated when it was created. Does that make sense? So this will work exactly as you want it to the way it’s currently set up. 

It does looks like the plan you’re on will allow for you to create Paths, which is an alternative option so the “duplicate task” doesn’t run. It would look something like this:

New Appointment

Find Module Entry (don’t tick the checkbox to create a new entry)

Path A

• Filter Step: If Module ID exists
  • Update Module Entry

Path B

• Filter Step: If Module ID doesn’t exist
  • Create Module Entry

It’s up to you how you want to move forward! I believe each option would cost the same but I would recommend going with what you have set up already as it’s much more straightforward. Cheers!