Best answer

Update Airtable fields after detecting new file in folder

• 22 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a number two websites that I download spreadsheets from regularly that I would love to create automated processes with. 

For instance my bank transactions can be downloaded as a csv or excel sheet. I would like to download a set of transactions to a folder and have Zapier automatically create records for those transactions in an Airtable without me having to open and clean up the file headers.

(It’s a small local bank so I am sure they won’t be working with Zapier soon.)

Is this doable? I’d also love to use this kind of zap for things like inventory reports from Squarespace.

icon

Best answer by jesse 2 March 2021, 17:48

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hey @StrangeChild,

sounds super interesting! I think as a trigger you could use the Google Drive Folder to which you save this file. Anytime you put a file (in your case your csv) to this particular folder this should trigger a Zap.

In a next step you can create an Airtable Create Record action.

Can you work with that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Here are 2 help articles related to CSVs using the Formatter app:

https://zapier.com/help/create/format/import-csv-files-into-zaps

https://zapier.com/help/doc/how-import-csv-files-formatter

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Troy Tessalone ! Thanks @Ennes !

I’m going to experiment with the Google drive trigger. 

I’m really good at forming the if then statements for these kind of zaps in my head but I don’t always know the right language to use.

“If thing one does stuff then update the other thing” is probably not going to work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just closing the loop on this! @Ennes and @Troy Tessalone both offered some great insight into things to try as next steps:

Hey @StrangeChild,

sounds super interesting! I think as a trigger you could use the Google Drive Folder to which you save this file. Anytime you put a file (in your case your csv) to this particular folder this should trigger a Zap.

In a next step you can create an Airtable Create Record action.