Best answer

Unable to define Google Drive files using their ID after the branding update.

• 22 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Last night I was working on a Zap that was testing normally and finding files based on the Google Drive File ID.

The zap step’s purpose is to copy Google Drive Shortcuts from a Shortcut folder to place them into a New Client folder. This is a shortcut to a document that is continually updated.
I was doing this by using “Google Drive > Copy File > Custom > [google shortcut id]”

This morning when I logged in, Zap’s website format entirely changed, and the functionality I was working with stopped working. None of my file id’s can locate the files, when I input them, they read “No Data” after them and they’ve all been changed to template variables inside {{brackets}}

Zapier offers for me to use a “Find File” step, but it will only search by name within a certain location. If I rename or move the shortcut later, then the zap will break, so I need it search by Google File ID only.

Am I missing something on this new version of Zapier to implement the function that was already there only last night?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 29 April 2022, 21:54

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Tina19 

Good question.

Please provide detailed screenshots with how each of your Zap steps are configured in order for us to have proper context, thanks.

Userlevel 1

Here is the intended file structure being created from the zap. All folders are created properly, but the final step shown is the problem. The Read Me file shown is specifically a Google Drive Shortcut to lead back to a regularly updated document. 

Here are the steps used:

Step 1: New Form Response in Google Forms (functions as expected) -
I have a Test Sheet activated to ensure that the zap is testing from a specific row with specific information.

Step 2: Find A Folder - Using info from the row in Step #1, check to find an existing folder based on the client’s name. Create new folder if not found. (functions as expected)

Step 3: Find A Folder - Check to find an existing folder called projects. If folder was created in previous step, it does not exist yet, so create new folder if not found. (functions as expected)

Step 4: Create Folder - Using info from the row in Step #1, create a folder for the new project. (functions as expected)

Step 4: Create A Folder - Create the Development folder. (functions as expected)

Step #6: PROBLEM AREA - The issue shown in this step is reflecting across multiple steps. This step setup previously functioned correctly prior to Zapier’s layout update.

Copy a File - Copy a shortcut to the new Development folder created in the last step.
This setup was also used to copy template documents that are also no longer copying.

ISSUE #1: Absolutely no files are appearing when I attempt to search. This was not a problem previously because I was linking directly to the file using the file’s google-drive-id but I am unable to do so now. 

I work around this by going to “Custom” and inputting the id as shown below.

NOTE: Clicking away from the browser window results in the field self-clearing itself.

I click “Use [google-file-id]” as this approach worked previously.

“No data” error now appears - this did not appear when I previously used this method of identifying specific files.

I proceed to fill out the following fields.

​​​​
ISSUE: When I select the Drive to use (This is a Shared Drive) then the file ID clears from my selections. I have to reenter the file ID again. Suddenly one file appears in the “File” list now but no other files from the same folder appear.

ISSUE: When i move to the testing step, Zapier has decided to turn my google-file-id into a text variable(unsure if that is the correct term, sorry) instead of a google-file-id.

I have tried deleting this step and recreating it from scratch multiple times which is very frustrating because this method worked flawlessly only a few days ago.

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Tina19 

Appreciate the screenshots for context.

You can try using the GDrive File ID as a static value in the Zap for the “READ ME” file.

Best to make Zapier aware of these issues by submitting a ticket to Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

@Tina19

Appreciate the screenshots for context.

You can try using the GDrive File ID as a static value in the Zap for the “READ ME” file.

Best to make Zapier aware of these issues by submitting a ticket to Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Hi Troy,

I am using the GDrive File ID as a static value which successfully worked previously, and is still working in old previous steps made before the update (as long as I do not try to edit them). The issue is that only recently, Zapier began attempting to format this as an editable/searchable text variable (I think?). The same issue is happening when I try to Create Document from Template.

Submitted a ticket, thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Tina19! Thanks for reaching out.

I can see you were able to chat with my friend Mwema in support - which is perfect. Ya’ll were able to help identify this was indeed a bug in the Google Drive integration. Since you were added as an affected user you’ll be emailed once a fix is in place. We’ll also be sure to keep this thread updated. 

Thank you again for your help in reporting this!