Best answer

two way sync between airtable and onfleet

• 19 December 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have a zap that takes a record from a view in airtable and send that records information to a task in onfleet (a logistics platform). In onfleet we then usually complete or fail the task, which I want to update the record that created that task in airtable with information about the task completion. I was thinking I could somehow send onfleets unique task ID back to airtable when creating the task, but am finding that it is unable to create the task and instantly send that record ID back. 

Any ideas on how we could achieve being able to have the airtable record and onfleet task connected so that they can communicate and send data between each other?

Thinking about airtable record ID and onfleet task ID somehow.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 21 December 2020, 21:40

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you tried the Airtable Update Record action in your Zap?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Zap Steps

1. Trigger: Airtable
  2. Action: OnFleet
  3. Action: Airtable - Update Record
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Zap Steps

1. Trigger: Airtable
  2. Action: OnFleet
  3. Action: Airtable - Update Record

Yes as you can see its not sending the ID data back 🤔

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@chrisfinck 

Couple questions about your setup.

1. When you run a test of step two does the ID have a value?  I checked the onfleet API and creating a task should definitely return one
  2. Have you tried turning the zap on and running a test to see if the ID comes through.
  3. Can you provide some screen shots of the output logs from a live zap that creates the task?

I have seen a value show No data before when you run a test to set up the zap and then change a field in that step.  Zapier updates the value in the subsequent steps and since you haven’t run a test with the new information it looks like no value is present. Turning the zap on and running a test will confirm if it’s this issue or if there really isn’t an ID being returned.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@chrisfinck

Couple questions about your setup.

1. When you run a test of step two does the ID have a value?  I checked the onfleet API and creating a task should definitely return one
  2. Have you tried turning the zap on and running a test to see if the ID comes through.
  3. Can you provide some screen shots of the output logs from a live zap that creates the task?

I have seen a value show No data before when you run a test to set up the zap and then change a field in that step.  Zapier updates the value in the subsequent steps and since you haven’t run a test with the new information it looks like no value is present. Turning the zap on and running a test will confirm if it’s this issue or if there really isn’t an ID being returned.

1. I looked at the data out when onfleet returns and yes it is returning an ID
  2. The test does not do it and as zaps are coming in right now they are not sending the ID to the field I want
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Anytime you see a dynamic parameter placeholder like this in the DATA IN for a step it means no data point values was provided from a previous step in the Zap.

Be sure to check the mapping of data points between steps.

Make sure to test each step manually to confirm the data point is returned and piped thru to the next step.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Anytime you see a dynamic parameter placeholder like this in the DATA IN for a step it means no data point values was provided from a previous step in the Zap.

Be sure to check the mapping of data points between steps.

Make sure to test each step manually to confirm the data point is returned and piped thru to the next step.

Shoot so how can I confirm that indeed the ID is being sent 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Test the OnFleet step manually, which should return an ID.

Then search for the returned ID and map the returned OnFleet ID data point to the Airtable step field.

Perhaps provide screenshots of the DATA OUT from the OnFleet step.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So there were a few different ID fields. I found one that I think will work and am just waiting for a new task to come in. Testing doesn't work because I can't have test tasks going in the live version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @chrisfinck - Did this solve your issue?