Skip to main content
Best answer

Trigger Zap when Google Sheet is updated

Need to updated a google sheet by pasting new data.

use email field as the record unique value

lfind record in salesforce

update specific fields

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @ChrisRager 

All possible with Zapier. How far have you got?

Userlevel 1

@AndrewJDavison_Luhhu I have it built and it “tests” for one record fine, but when I wipe the sheet and past new data it isn’t triggering the update

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@ChrisRager 

You want to be careful about deleting existing rows on a Google Sheet and pasting new ones over it - it can affect Zapier’s ability to see the row.

Try deleting the rows once more, turning the zap off then on again and post some new test rows.

Also, keep in mind that there is a 1-2 min delay before the zap will trigger on the new row.

If you’re still having issues, come back here and we’ll troubleshoot some more.

Userlevel 1

thanks for helping… hope this helps you help me

that isn’t working either.  let me put the steps down and some screen shots

1. record exists in salesforce already.  Account/Contact in person org
  2. fields in question could be empty or filled (in the future)
  3. data is downloaded from thinkific into csv file
  4. data is pasted over old data (this is progress in a course… so week 1 might be 85% this week and then 100% next week) goal is to have indiviudal coaches see the progress updated periodically without having to go to thinkific
  5. zap is set as follows

When this happens …1. New or Updated Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets

choose app: Google Sheets

Choose trigger event New or Updated Spreadsheet Row

example record on google sheet

then Find Rocord in salesforce

then use that record to update fields

zap in question

side note, in antoerh zap that does the same thing when a booking in Schedule once is made to update a status, the Record to udpate field looks like this.

different field name, and when I look for it in my current zap, it isn’t there

I could do this with teh data loader, but that seems to be more wokr than if I can make this happen

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@ChrisRager 

I'm going to flag this post for the Zapier Community Team. They should have more insight on this and can escalate to the support team if needed.

Sit tight, and someone will contact you soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @ChrisRager! If the Google Sheets New or updated row isn’t triggering, there are a couple more things to double check. 

First, in the Google sheets trigger, I can see that you’ve set the trigger column to Email - when you adding the new information to the sheet is that column changing? And also, is it changing to a new value each time it changes ie it’s never the same email that has been in that column before. 

Second, could I ask if there are any blank rows in the sheet? That can cause Zaps to not work as they should, so if there are any blank rows please turn off the Zap, delete the rows and turn it on again. 

And it sounds like your pasting the data in, so you’re not using any formula or lookup/references are you? It doesn’t sound like you are, but I wanted to double check!

Userlevel 1

@Danvers that is correct, the easiest method would be to copy and paste new data each time vs some vlookup into another sheet.

The only values that are changing are:

1. the new record that new existed before being pasted into sheet
  2. existing record pasted in with new weekly progress values in Week 1-6

Does this help?  really do appreciate the help here

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @ChrisRager! It looks like you also got in touch with our Support Team about this one, and the Zap was triggering correctly, but because more than 100 rows were added at any one time, our ‘flood protection’ kicked in. This means that the Zap was triggered but the tasks were held until you confirmed that you wanted them to run. 

Was that at the heart of what happened here? Or was there another hurdle that you ran into? 

Userlevel 1

I haven’t solved this one yet @Danvers this is the 1st I have heard of flood protection.  Can you clarify where I go to confirm that to run?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @ChrisRager you can learn more about flood protection in our guide: Rate limits and throttling in Zapier

If you go to your task history, you should see a banner at the top of the page that tells you that you have held tasks and a button that says ‘help me fix it’. If you click on that, it will let you know what to do. I hope that helps!