Best answer

Trigger on new slack threaded message

• 7 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello Community, 

I’m working on zap that triggers when there is a new slack thread message in a specific private channel.

The zap I created worked correctly during testing, misfired sending hundreds of replies when published as the parameters I set where incorrect as I was triggering the zap when a new message in the channel is sent and the action was to find the keyword through slack search and then do the canned reply, the zap replied to the latest search result the number of times it found the keyword. 

So is there a way that a zap can be triggered by any new slack message sent, including threaded messages, within a specific private channel and then filter by keywords to proceed with the action which would be to send a message in that same thread, and send it only once. 

Thanks and looking forward to having some help on this one. 

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 7 December 2022, 17:30

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Wael 

Good question.

Perhaps you can provide detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured in order for us to have more context, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Wael 

You can use the trigger “New Message Posted to Private Channel” which will trigger on ALL messages posted to the Private Channel INCLUDING messages in Threads. 

You can then use a filter step to filter for the keywords you need. 

After that, use the Action “Send Private Channel Message” to send a message in this private channel. You can add the Thread.ts in the Thread field to reply to the Thread. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks Moh + Troy! 

@Wael were you able to give Moh’s suggestion a whirl? Let us know how it panned out and if you hit any roadblocks, share some screenshots. of your configuration as we’ll dive deeper!

Hello @MohSwellam @Liz_Roberts 

Yes, initial testing looks to be working well, so hope to have in production shortly 😀 cross-fingers all will work smoothly with no errors or issues.

Thank you for the support and follow-up, much appreciated!

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Sorry, I was so upset with the error that I deleted the Zap altogether and with the solution provided by @MohSwellam don’t think will be needed anymore, I hope. 

Thank you anyway, your interest to support and help it is so appreciated. Thank you!