Question

Transfer a Google Sheets table to Confluence, not only a row

• 25 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have setup a Transfer so Daily the content of a Google sheet create a new Confluence Page. But the transfer only pass the title and the first row. Instead, I need to transfer a table (not only the row) from Google Sheet to Confluence.

Let me share with you all the process follow: 

1- This is the body configured in the First transfer: 

With this result: KO only the first row

2- Than I proved this one: 

With this result: KO all the row but not the content.

I know I’m nearly there, but how should I configure the body to transfer the full table from G- Sheets to Confluence?

Thank you very much in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

It sounds like you are experiencing some issues with transferring data from a Google Sheet to Confluence. From your description, it seems like your current process is only transferring the title and the first row of your Google Sheet to Confluence, but you need to transfer an entire table.

To achieve this, you can try the following steps:

In your Google Sheet, select the entire table that you want to transfer to Confluence.

Copy the selected table by right-clicking and choosing "Copy" or by pressing Ctrl+C (Windows) or Command+C (Mac).

In your Confluence page, create a new table by clicking on the "+" icon and selecting "Table".

In the table editor, click on the first cell and paste the table from your Google Sheet by right-clicking and choosing "Paste" or by pressing Ctrl+V (Windows) or Command+V (Mac).

Adjust the table settings and formatting as needed, such as adding headers, changing cell size, and adjusting the colors or fonts.

Save the Confluence page and verify that the table has been transferred correctly.

If you need to automate this process and transfer the table daily, you may need to use a third-party tool or write a custom script to handle the transfer. Some options to consider include Google Apps Script, Zapier, or an API integration between Google Sheets and Confluence.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Alejandra Ornia!  

Ah, each row of information would be transferred separately so would likely end up creating multiple pages in Confluence (one for each Google Sheets row). Instead, I think you might want to use a Zap with an app like Digest by Zapier. It would allow you to create a list of the html code and information for each individual row.

The digest would essentially add each row’s code and information in as a new entry in the digest:
6ad423eae1ce6c654d484d86777044c8.png
Then you could release the digest on a daily basis. And in a Create Page or Blog Post (Confluence) action, you’d select the digest content to use for the middle part of the table’s code: 
55497bc869f9f18fb5d804689c080286.png

Does that sound like it could work?

If so, I’d recommend checking out our Compile data in a digest in Zaps guide for more details on how to set up the digest and release it. There’s also a tutorial on how to send a digest of Slack messages on a daily basis that may be helpful to review when setting this up. It’s not the exact same use case but the principles are similar:

Hope that helps. Please do let us know how you get on!

Hi, 

i’m trying to do it, but have not understood pretty weel. 

I’m opining a new Zap:

1. Trigger: new Row in G-sheets
  2. Action: Create a Page in Confluence space X
  3. Digest-. How do I configure it?
  4. Schedule by Zapier is it necessary? Or is it include in the Digest step?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Alejandra Ornia 

Jumping in to see if I can help!

Based on the previous conversation, the Digest by Zapier step that was recommended by SamB should be the second step (after the trigger step).

Here are helpful articles to help you configure the Digest by Zapier step:

Hei all!

Just to spread the knowledge, I’ve tried it and it does not works. At the end of the day, it takes only one row of the G-Sheet. Maybe I’m doing something wrong or not capturing well your help. Thank you in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Alejandra Ornia

If I’m understanding correctly, the Zap is set up in a way that works for you, but it’s only pulling in one row at a time, is that right? If so, that’s what we would expect the Zap to do.

As each row is added, it will trigger the Zap and add it to the Digest. I can see that the Confluence step is immediately after the Digest step in the Zap. If you’d like all of the rows to be added to the Digest and released to Confluence once a day then you will need a second Zap that will release the Digest once a day.

Zap 1

1. New Row in Google Sheet
  2. Append Entry and Schedule Digest - set the Digest release to manual

Zap 2

1. Schedule by Zapier (set to trigger the Zap once a day)
  2. Release Digest
  3. Create Page or Blog post in Confluence

That will take care of any new rows added to the sheet (ie as they are added each day)

If you have previous rows/sheets that you’d like to add to confluence, you can do that with one Zap. First, add a column to the sheet and leave it empty (apart from the header row)

1. New or Updated Spreadsheet Row (trigger from an update to one column)
  2. Append Entry and Schedule Digest
  3. Release Digest
  4. Create Page or Blog post in Confluence

Then add an ‘x’ (or anything) in each Row of the sheet to trigger the Zap for each existing row. When the Zap has run through each row, turn it off so you don’t accidentally trigger it again!

One thing to note if you try this - if there are more than 100 rows, the Zap will hold the zap runs for the additional rows. This is due to something called Flood protection, which prevents you from accidentally running a Zap too many times. In this case, it’s not a problem as you can go to your Zap history and play any held Zap runs. You can learn more about Flood protection in this guide: Rate limits and throttling in Zapier.

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!