Best answer

Teachable enrolments can’t select specific course?

• 4 November 2021
  • 17 replies

Badge

Hello.

I’ve been using Zapier no problem for a few months with Teachable enrolments being sent to my Convertkit mailing list automations.

I have the teachable zap set for course enrolment and then it sends them to the correct Convertkit automation again.

Now, I just made a new teachable course (Free trial actually) and I want that enrolment to be sent to a different email segment/automation that sends them an email asking if they liked the trial and a coupon code.

BUT, when I’m setting up my zap, it has the choice of course enrollment but doesn’t ask you what course. So, I’m assuming it is just looking for ANY course enrolment which is a problem as the free trial students would get the email automation for people who signed up to the full paid course.

This seems like something that exists, but I’m just not finding it.

Thank you for the help.

-Andrew

icon

Best answer by SamB 5 November 2021, 13:10

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Skill Hunter English Andrew 

Try adding a Filter as Step 2 in the Zap: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Or you can try using Paths in the Zap: https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/add-branching-logic-to-zaps-with-paths

Badge

The filter would be great, but it does not let you choose the teachable course is the problem.

The paths looks promising too (if i was on a professional plan), but because I am not able to select which course and only choose “enrolments” in general, I am not seeing a solution. Thank you for the suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Skill Hunter English Andrew 

Perhaps post screenshots with what data points are returned from the Zap app trigger event you are using so we can take a look.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Skill Hunter English Andrew,

I took a look at the information we get back from Teachable’s New Enrollment trigger and it seems there’s a field called Course Name which contains the name of the course.

So it should be possible to set up a filter rule to only allow the Zap to continue if the text in the Course Name field exactly matches a specific course name. For example, if the course I only wanted to run the Zap for was called Superhero flying lessons, I’d set up the filter rule like so:

85dcc7beb7fb0ebd0d7742cb8c8b49a3.png

You can find out more about working with Filter steps here: Add conditions to Zaps with filters 

Hope that helps! :)

Badge

Troy and SamB,

@Troy Tessalone  @SamB 

Both of you really helped.

I didn’t seem to figure out the filter before but now thanks to your links and screen shot I was able to understand.

The one thing I’m struggling with currently is it is not letting me choose the main course. I’m trying different parts of the name of the course and yet it is not identifying it.

The free trial shows up in italicized text next to 1. Course name  as   1. Course name 無料体験レッスン but again getting this error.

Badge

A photo of our courses list. The bottom course is the one I’m trying to target.

Badge

The exactly matches one did not seem to work either. I copied and pasted the exact course name.

@SamB 

Badge

strangely when i put in “contains” 無料  which means free, the free trial is recognized and works.  Hmm now, how to get it to recognize the actual main course..

@SamB 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Skill Hunter English Andrew! :)

Hmm, it’s very odd that it’s not finding a match when you enter the exact name of the course. Is the course in the selected enrollment sample from Teachable the same course as the one mentioned in the Filter step? If not, then that may explain why the Filter isn’t finding a match for it.

If you want the Filter to search for only part of the course name, then instead of using the (Text) Starts with or (Text) Exactly matches options, it may be better to use the (Text) Contains option like so:

2ee6a620ad989f1b4a34d151173c2b90.png

Then, if the selected sample in the Teachable trigger step contains an enrollment for the Skills Hunter English A1 course, the Filter test should then be successful.

Can you please give that a try and let us know whether that works better? Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Badge

@SamB 

Thanks again, I’ve tried all of what you suggested multiple times already and it is just not recognizing anything except the free trial.

Let me explain one more time what I am trying to do and let’s see if you know of a solution on how this can be done without multisteps or filters. This is also for myself, in explaining this, i may find the solution.

UP unto recently, I have had two zaps.

1. When there is a registration on teachable it puts them into my convertkit sequence for buyers.
  2. When someone gets added to the sequence/tag for buyers, they then would be removed from the tag “launch warmup list”

Now, i have no launch warm up automation as I added a free trial in teachable.

So, i have 2 courses.

1. 無料体験レッスン  (which is free trial lesson in japanese)
  2. Skill Hunter English A1 Course スキルハンター英語A1コース

Okay, so now I am thinking, I’d like to make a sequence for free trials (replacing the launch warm up) and keep my sequence for buyers the same.

So, now I need to adjust my 2 zaps.

First, convertkit and teachable are set up I believe that when teachable students enroll in a course like 1) or 2) from above, it can add a tag to them. I’ll input photos of each sequence.

So they get tagged. So maybe… I’m getting a bit more confused looking at these sequences…

If Someone signs up, they get added directly by convertkit to the correct tags and join an email list.

So if someone signs up for the free trial, CONVERTKIT will put them on that sequence for free trials. Then let’s say they buy the course and they get added to that list.

SO… I want them taken off the FREE trial list (trying to upsell them to a new list), which means the convertkit when added to buyers list, zapier will then remove free trial tag (picture included) … and that is it?

I think, i didn’t realize that convertkit allows you to point people to the correct sequence based on the teachable course they purchase.

So… all along, this thing I’m trying to do, can be done in convertkit and this 2nd zap is not necessary. The only zap I need is the first zap that removes newly added subs to the buyer sequence from the free trial sequence.

If i am right, i can just delete the zap above i’ve been trying to fix w/ a filter.  Really sorry about this, but if you know enough about how people integrate convertkit/zapier/teachable together when they have multiple courses and sequences, could you confirm? You have been so patient with me. 

Badge

Here are the photos

@SamB 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m so sorry the Filter step still isn’t working, @Skill Hunter English Andrew

I’m glad to hear you were able to figure out a solution using ConvertKit though! If I’m understanding correctly, ConvertKit will automatically add people to the correct sequence based on the course they purchased. Then you have a Zap that triggers when someone joins a specific sequence, and removes the free trial tag, correct? 

If so, then you’re right, it sounds like that Filter step won’t be needed to determine which course the user was enrolled onto and you can just get rid of that Zap.

I’ve not come across many users that were using both ConvertKit and Teachable in the past and wasn’t aware that they had the ability to automatically add users to the right sequence, so that’s very good to know. Thanks for sharing this info! :)

Badge

Yes, that was my confusion.

This is the convertkit screenshot.

It appears so.

I need to test it with a test email first I guess. Does this seem right, the way I explained?

Badge

And here is the zap I would use, correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yep, that’s seems correct to me, @Skill Hunter English Andrew. I did some checking and it looks as though you can set up rules to run for certain courses so you should be able to use that Zap to trigger when they enter a specific sequence and remove the relevant tag.

I agree, it’s a good idea to use a test email to begin with so that you can check that’s everything is working as expected. Good luck with the tests! :)

Badge

Yes, thank you.

I am being sent a few emails and I want to confirm in the middle of the automation by adding my test email to the main course and then I will know in a few days.

Thank you so much and if you don’t hear from me, that means zapier is doing it’s job! :P

I really appreciate all of the help and pardon me for all my many questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You’re very welcome, @Skill Hunter English Andrew. :)

Always happy to help answer any questions, so if you run into any more do let us know!