Best answer

Tag specific users in Slack in weekly meeting reminder

Hi Everyone, 

I am trying to set up a zap to tag specific Slack users in a weekly Monday meeting reminder based on who will be the meeting facilitator and who will be the meeting notetaker (we have this predetermined every week for the fiscal year in a Google Sheet). I’ve found some related topics I’ve linked here but I cannot find an aggregated explanation of how this might work or how to set it up it simple terms. 

Ideally what I’d like to achieve looks like this: Every Monday an automated message pops up in a specified channel that says
“Happy Monday! Here are this week’s meeting facilitator and notetaker. Please arrange to swap if necessary.
Facilitator: @ user 
Notetaker: @ user” 

Related Topics: 
Randomly tag users in weekly Slack message
Sending weekly message on Slack with Google Sheets Data
Automating Birthday Messages to Slack

Any help is much appreciated, thank you! 

icon

Best answer by christina.d 6 June 2022, 23:11

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Alex A 

Good question.

Try these Zap steps…

1. Trigger: Schedule - Weekly
  2. Action: GSheet - Lookup Row
  3. Action: Slack - Find User (by Name / Email / Username)
    1. Facilitator
  4. Action: Slack - Find User (by Name / Email / Username)
    1. Notetaker
  5. Action: Slack - Send Channel Message
    1. User Mentions: type an open angle bracket, the at symbol (@), the user’s Slack member ID, and a closing angle bracket.
      <@UG1234567>

Hi @Troy Tessalone - thank you for your quick reply! 

I’m a bit confused on how I would be setting up the GSheet Lookup Row. Basically, I want it to either go in order of the rows from top to bottom on a weekly basis or actually pull the date information from the sheet and send the correct reminder for that week (whichever is easier/possible). Here is an example of how our sheet is set up right now: 

Would I be able to set up the zap to effectively pull the Slack user info from this sheet every week and tag those users accordingly? And if so, how would I go about filling out the GSheet action? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Alex A 

If you want it done daily then you’d use this Zap trigger: Schedule - Daily

Then you’d lookup the current date to find the matching row.

Change the Lookup Column to “Date”

Alternatively, you can use Airtable.

Airtable has Views

Views can have Filters. (e.g. Date = Today)

Views can be used to trigger Zaps.

@Troy Tessalone I did get up to the point where the Slack portion does what I want it to do. My only issue now is how to get the correct information from the Google Sheet to Slack every week since the Facilitators and Notetakers are different each week. Thus, the zap will need to automatically tag different people each week on Monday according to the Google Sheet. I’m not sure how to set that up and moving the info to Airtable may not be an option.

Here’s my current setup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alex A

Change the Zap trigger to Every Day if you have GSheet rows for each day that you want to send out.

@Troy Tessalone I’m not sure I’m understanding that solve. I don’t want it to send a reminder Slack every day. I need a Slack reminder weekly on Monday only. That’s how I have it set up now. For context these are the actual meeting dates (all Thursdays) that are on the sheet: 

If I need to, I can change all of these to the Monday dates that I need the reminder to be sent but right now the zap isn’t triggering from the dates on this sheet. It’s just triggering every Monday. 

I am trying to solve the following:how to get the correct information from the Google Sheet to Slack every week since the Facilitators and Notetakers are different each week. Thus, the zap will need to automatically tag different people each week on Monday according to the Google Sheet.” 

The way I have it set up right now (I think) it would just keep tagging me in the reminder every single week. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alex A

The mapped variables will dynamically change each time the Zap runs based on the GSheet row found, so as long as the GSheet Lookup Row step is finding the correct date, then the Slack message sent will be dynamic each week.

@Troy Tessalone Exactly, how do I make sure the GSheet Lookup Row is finding the correct date (and therefore the correct facilitator/notetaker info) every week? Do I need to change the trigger to be the date on the Google Sheet instead? Or do I need to do something different in the GSheet Action setup? 

Thank you for all your help so far, really appreciate it! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alex A 

Really comes down to testing different uses cases.

When you tested the GSheet Lookup Row step with this date format from the Zap trigger step, did it return the correct row?

@Troy Tessalone 

It did indeed trigger the correct row. I guess my question really boils down to: Is this Lookup Value field also dynamic?

If it is and it’s going to search that sheet every Monday for a date that matches the current date and pull the info from that row then I think I’m fine so long as I create a “Reminder Date” column that lists all the Mondays. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Alex A 

Any mapped variable in a Zap step is dynamic, so yes the Zap will work under the correct conditions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi friends! I wanted to summarize some of Troy’s responses into a single reply for anyone following along!

@Alex A

The mapped variables will dynamically change each time the Zap runs based on the GSheet row found, so as long as the GSheet Lookup Row step is finding the correct date, then the Slack message sent will be dynamic each week.

Any mapped variable in a Zap step is dynamic, so yes the Zap will work under the correct conditions.

I hope this helps!