Question

Tag/Mention users on Airtable through Zap

• 14 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

I am trying to build a zap that mentions a specific user on an Airtable field to alert them when we need to change the course of our production. Anyone knows how can I do that? 

Thanks in advance!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @CPteam 

Which Airtable field type are you trying to use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CPteam 

Not sure you’ll be able to do this as it looks like Airtable uses Markdown and internal IDs for these:

• app: base
  • men: mention
  • usr: user
  • rec: record
  • fld: field

Userlevel 1

Hi @CPteam 

Which Airtable field type are you trying to use?

Hi @Troy Tessalone

It’s just a single text field. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello there, @CPteam! 👋

It doesn’t appear to be currently possible to @mention a user in a Single Line Text field via Airtable’s API. But it is possible to create a comment on a record that @mentions a user via the Airtable API - would that approach be acceptable?

If so, then I’d suggest using the Airtable API Request (Beta) action to create the comment. It’s a bit more complicated to set up than the other Airtable actions, but we do have a general guide on how to set up an API request action guide which can help. I’ve had a quick look and it seems like you’d need to follow the Create Comment endpoint documentation here: https://airtable.com/developers/web/api/create-comment

Hope that helps. If you do give that API Request action a try and run into any trouble just let me know - happy to assist further!