Question

Sync tags between Circle and Airtable without overwrite what's already there or creating a Zap loop

So, I've been working on the same zaps for a few weeks now while also messaging with Circle automation experts and Zapier support. I finally got a few things to work but continue running into issues.

In my head, it's super simple but creating them has taken longer than expected and getting more complicated.

What I'd like to do is:

• when I add a tag in an Airtable multi select field for a member, I'd like that to zap the tag(s) to the to Circle community.

• when I add the tag in Circle, to get that to zap to the Airtable multi select field.

• When I remove a tag Airtable or Circle, I'd like that change to reflect in Circle and/or Airtable.

What I have in zaps:

After some time, the zap from Airtable to Circle finally works as well as the zap from Circle to Airtable. However, I can't figure out a simple way to do this without so a zap doesn't overwrite what's already there, play in an endless loop or complicate everything.

Is there a simple solution for any of these? Any help would be hugely appreciated!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @wutf-team 

Good question.

Zaps aren’t meant for 2-ways data syncing: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/does-zapier-support-two-way-syncing

To append to an Airtable Multiselect field with existing values, first, find the existing Airtable record, then include the existing Tags again separated by a comma after the new tag.

Like this: [NEW TAG],[EXISTING TAGS]

To append to an Airtable Multiselect field with existing values, first, find the existing Airtable record, then include the existing Tags again separated by a comma after the new tag.

Like this: [NEW TAG],[EXISTING TAGS]

Thanks @Troy Tessalone but having can’t seem to make it work. I tried adding [NEW TAG],[EXISTING TAGS] to various fields but it showed up with [] in the cell or ran into an error.

Is this within a second Airtable find function, the existing find function or updating step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wutf-team 

These look like different values, even if both are text values in each app, so you’d likely have to use some sort of Lookup Table to translate the values.

TIP: Always best to provide screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured with the values set at the field level in order for us to have proper context.

Ok, so, I created a lookup key and this is but the value replaces what’s already in the cell. Not sure what to keep or remove anything that might not be working. The entire zap looks like this:

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wutf-team 

This should be the Output from Step 4, then a comma, and the output from Step 3.

No variables should be mapped from Step 1.

This should be the Output from Step 4, then a comma, and the output from Step 3.

No variables should be mapped from Step 1.

So, I tried that but it doesn’t seem to work. The test worked but when I ran it, it doesn’t stop looking for new items.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wutf-team 

Check your Zap Runs and results in Airtable after manually playing the Zap.

So, output from the lookup key doesn’t seem to work as it continues showing up blank.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wutf-team 

Are you able to show the output from the Zap Run DATA OUT for that Formatter step?

###

The screenshot shows there is a multi-select option added that has no value, but that does not necessarily mean that is the result of the Zap.

Theres no value

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wutf-team

Did the value in DATA IN match a left side lookup value in the Formatter Lookup Table?

You may need to follow the Formatter step with a Filter step to check that the Formatter Lookup Table step had an outvalue that exists.

So, it I ran it a few more times with different tags, and it does match but it replaces the original tag

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wutf-team 

Can you provide screenshots with how your Zap step is configured for the Airtable step now?

Yup! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wutf-team

FYI: The Looping app runs iterations in parallel, so you’ll need to add a Delay inside the Loop.

I tried adding a Delay After Queue pretty much everywhere I could think to add it in the loop and even tried outside of it but none of it seemed to work...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@wutf-team

At this point, it might be worth considering hiring a Zapier Expert for help with your project: https://zapier.com/experts