Best answer

Subtasks in ClickUp inheriting Custom field from Parent task

• 22 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to set up a zap where subtasks created in ClickUp inherits the Custom Field value of the parent task. 

Can you help please?

icon

Best answer by Brem 25 April 2023, 22:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Yolandi 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

To ensure I understand, could you elaborate more on the issue? If you can phrase it in the “When A happens in Service X, B should happen in Service Y” format, that’ll help me make sure I give you the best suggestion possible.

I want to ensure we’re on the same page so I can point you in the right direction!

Hi @Charlie,

To give you a bit of background:

We have a folder within our ClickUp space set up specifically for clients, and each client has it’s own list within that folder. In each list we create Objectives as the Parent task and relevant projects as subtasks under those Objectives and break it down even further into Sprint-size tasks under that. 

We have a custom drop down for Workstreams that we allocate to each objective and it’s subsequent tasks. 

To use your format above: When we create a task in ClickUp, we allocate a Workstream Custom Drop Down. What we want is to automate any subtasks created to inherit the Workstream Custom Dropdown from the relevant parent task.

I hope this clears it up a bit. 

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Yolandi 

Thank you for the clarification.

That does seem possible with the “Find Task by Custom Fields” action step in ClickUp. Have you tried this already?

If so, are you getting an error?

Also, kindly send screenshots of how you’ve configured the steps of the Zap so far. (If there’s any personal information, kindly blur them.)

Looking forward to your response!

Hi @Charie 

I’m really struggling with this. I tried to create it now using the Find Task by Custom Fields action step, but it’s still not doing what I want it to do…

Here is a breakdown of my latest try…

Trigger: Trying to get it to activate as soon as new task is created...

Then to Filter

it so it only applies to Subtasks…

Then to bring in the Custom Field change…

I think my main problem is I don’t know what actions to include in what sequence. 

My guess is the following workflow:

When a new task is created, its custom field (Workstreams) is copied, and in the event that a new subtask is created under that parent task, the custom field is copied to the subtask. 

The problem is that there are a lot of different Workstreams (around 35) used within each list (around 24 Client lists), so you can’t even automate one Workstream custom drop down to be activated on all new tasks within a particular list, it needs to be on a case-by-case basis. 

Please help!

Kind regards

Yolandi

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Yolandi 

Jumping in to see if I can help!

I understand you want the custom fields to be moved to a subtask, is that correct? If so, I suggest adding the Create Subtask action step in ClickUp.

c95fe0c53d46e5bdde6ba9e14e9632b4.png

Hopefully, this helps!

Hi @Brem , 

Thank you for that - that’s the best solution I’ve been able to get so far.

Kind regards

Yolandi

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Yolandi,

Awesome! I’m glad my colleague Brem was able to help!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to post them in the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊