Question

Squarespace form submission to trigger Mailgun Template email

• 3 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Community, 

I have a Squarespace landing page with a simple function: A form to enter someone’s email address in order to receive future updates. 

I want an automatic “Thank you” email to be sent to the person signing up. In order to do this, I have tried to set up a Zap that integrates with a pre-prepared Mailgun template. The goal is to achieve the following:

Zap pulls persons Email address and sends Mailgun Template to that individual. Simple. 

Im facing two issues:

1. I cannot seem to strip the persons email address from the form submit - I have tested the function by replacing Mailgun with Gmail, but I cannot figure out how to feed this individuals email address into the zap. 

1. I cannot seem to have the option to send out the template I prepared on mailgun - I can only seemingly create an entirely new blank email for this. 

Is anybody able to provide me with any advise or support on how to achieve this simple task? I am also happy with just sending a simple email via GMail if need be, but am trying to avoid having to pay a third party email campaign manager just for this function. 

Thank you!!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wondering if you might be able to get this to work by setting up a Google Sheet as a “middleman”? Here’s what I’m thinking:

• Follow these instructions to set up a Google Sheet that auto-updates with every new form submission
  • Set up a Zap with the New Spreadsheet Row trigger
  • Use the data from that row (which I’m pretty sure will include the email address) to set up the email you want to send
    • I don’t think Mailgun or Gmail templates are supported via Zap, but would it be an option to copy/paste the content from your existing template into the Zap? If it’s added there, it’ll go out exactly like that every time, with the added benefit that you could even use some of the info in the Google Sheet row to personalize the message with the name of the person who submitted the form, for example.

Let me know if this doesn’t work so we can look at other options!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @anthony_3olabs 

Good question.

Sometimes app APIs have to be used for the desired trigger/action.

Mailgun API: https://documentation.mailgun.com/en/latest/api-sending.html#sending

App APIs can be used in Zaps with the Webhooks app as an action step: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/help

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @anthony_3olabs! Thanks for reaching out in community.

Hmm...I’m not super familiar with Mailgun but I’m curious is the template that you’ve prepared in Mailgun is it based off a tagging system or a mailing list? As in anyone with this tag/or whoever is added to this mailing list receives x email. The reason I ask is, if it’s a mailing list maybe the “New Mailing List Member” is the action you’re looking for in Mailgun.

1. Trigger “New Form Submissions” - Squarespace
  2. Action “New Mailing List Member” - Mailgun

Otherwise I think @simplifywork’s solution could be a good workaround, specifically with Google Sheets, and using the “Send Email” action and pasting the template into the body of the zap. 

Keep us posted on your thoughts! We’d love to know how you decide to approach this. 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Heya @anthony_3olabs! How ya getting along with this? We’d love to know if you were able to implement this! 🤗

Userlevel 1

Heya @anthony_3olabs! How ya getting along with this? We’d love to know if you were able to implement this! 🤗

Hey Christina!

Apologies for the late response and thank you to everyone for the kind support!

I have some more time today to go and test out the different solutions you had recommended and will feed back the results!

Thank you all again for the quick feedback

Userlevel 1

Wondering if you might be able to get this to work by setting up a Google Sheet as a “middleman”? Here’s what I’m thinking:

• Follow these instructions to set up a Google Sheet that auto-updates with every new form submission
  • Set up a Zap with the New Spreadsheet Row trigger
  • Use the data from that row (which I’m pretty sure will include the email address) to set up the email you want to send
    • I don’t think Mailgun or Gmail templates are supported via Zap, but would it be an option to copy/paste the content from your existing template into the Zap? If it’s added there, it’ll go out exactly like that every time, with the added benefit that you could even use some of the info in the Google Sheet row to personalize the message with the name of the person who submitted the form, for example.

Let me know if this doesn’t work so we can look at other options!

Thanks @simplifywork - I’ve tried all the methods and this seems to get me closest to my desired solution. 

However, I cannot seem to be able to scrape the user’s new added email address from the spreadsheet - when I test the zap, it works, but once I try the entire user flow by entering my email in the website, nothing happens. 

Im not sure which of the following IDs I should be using or what they signify - this is for the “To” box under the Gmail “Send email” function: 

Any clue how I could fix this?

Thanks so much again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @anthony_3olabs!

In terms of the field you should be using from the Google Sheet to add in the ‘To’ box, it looks like the one named ‘email-1’ is the one that you want to add. 

When you say that the Zap doesn’t seem to work when it turns on, there are a few things that could be happening:

1. The Zap that sends the information from SquareSpace to the Google Sheet isn’t working
  2. The Zap that triggers from the new row in Google Sheets isn’t working
  3. Both Zaps are working, but you need to wait a moment for the information in the Google Sheet to trigger the Zap. 

The best way to find out which of the above is happening is by looking at your Zap history. Submit another test form, wait for a bit and then look at the Zap history to see if both Zaps worked as they should or if either hit an error. 

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!