Best answer

Squarespace Form MULTI-picklist to Salesforce MULTI-Picklist

• 8 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m working on a Zap that will create a new record in Salesforce based on a submitted Squarespace form.

The Squarespace form has several picklists in it, including one multi-picklist.

Using Lookup Tables in the Formatter by Zapier app, I’ve been able to successfully map picklist options from Squarespace into the correct picklist value in Salesforce for four different fields.

However, I’m running into an issue with the one field that has a multi-picklist in Squarespace (think “Select all that apply”). The Salesforce field I want it to map to is also a multi-picklist (meaning you can select multiple options).

Using the same method as I did for the regular picklists does not work. It does not work even if I only select one option on the form. The example below was a dummy form I submitted where I selected two options. In the Salesforce contact that was created, this field was left blank.

What can I do??

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 8 November 2022, 22:59

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Leona 

Good question.

Select more than one value from the dropdown field

If you have a multi-select pick list field in Salesforce then you can select multiple items by using semicolon character ; between them.

Alternatively if you're passing data from a previous step, you can use Formatter to create a string with ; as the separator.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the reply!

I may be misunderstanding these instructions. Does this look right? I created this action to occur after the Formatter action from my original post.

I chose Formatter by Zapier as the app and Text as the event.

Can you confirm what should be in each of the circled fields? My current confidence that I did it correctly is very low.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Leona, 

No that wouldnt work since we want to insert the semicolon not split the text with it. 

What you need is the following: 

1) Choose a record/response data from your trigger step that has only 1 value in this multi select field. You should see a drop down with 1 or more test data, click load more if you wanna see more / new replies. Just make sure the multi select only has 1 value, even if you have to submit a new fake reply and then load the data in the trigger.

2) Once you have this, skip the Lookup Table step and go directly to the Salesforce action step

3) In the Salesforce step, instead of the current value you have for the Multiselect field , click on it again and choose Custom, but this time choose the data coming directly from the trigger response. Try testing it again and see if Salesforce would accept this value. 

4) If the value is accepted (keep in mind that at this point it HAS to be only 1 item not multiselect items) then we know that you dont need the Lookup table, we can delete it later. 

5) Now comes the tricky part 😅 we need a formatter step to replace the comma that separates the answers BUT not the comma inside the answer. To be able to help you with this, I need to see the data coming from the trigger step (are they separate line items HOPEFULLY? Is it one string with all the answers comma separated? ) then we replace the separator with a semicolon instead of a comma as it currently shows in the input field of your screenshot. 

Let me know how this goes

Userlevel 1

So, I removed the Lookup Table and edited the Salesforce action step to Custom with the data coming directly from the trigger response.

When I submitted a test form selecting only one value (I selected the White, Northern European value), the Zap was stopped due to an error. It separated White and Northern European into two different values due to the comma, which then couldn't translate into Salesforce.

I ran a second test, this time selecting a value without a comma (Black or African American) and that did allow the Zap to successfully complete, and the selection did appear in the created Salesforce contact.

Then, I ran a third test, this time selecting two values, both of which don't have commas (Value 1: Black or African American, Value 2: Hawaiian or Pacific Islander). This also successfully translated to Salesforce. I tried it with three values as well and it still worked.

So, it seems you're correct that the problem we would have needed to solve was we would have needed a formatter step to replace the commas that separated the answers BUT not the commas inside the answers. 

BUT what I decided to do instead was: I removed the commas from the values that had them (in both Squarespace and Salesforce). Only 2/8 values had commas, and they weren't necessary.

This fixed it and the Zap is now working as intended!