Question

Smartsheet >> Xero Integration - Customizable pricing.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here’s a question, I’ve set up a Zapier integration to issue a draft quote in Xero when a row is added in Smartsheet (typically via a quote form).

In the form the user selects item codes from a dropdown list, for most items this will populate the unit price field through index in Smartsheet, but for 5-10% of item codes a unit price field appears through conditional formatting so that the user can enter a unit price.

When the Zap runs it works fine where the unit price is populated through indexing the price list. But where the user need to enter a customizable unit price this always gets sent to Xero as $0.00.

I think what is happening is that I have matching unit price data set up in Xero and SS where the unit price is indexed from a price list. But, where the unit price is customizable I have left this blank in the price lists, hence the $0.00

So my question is, Zapier gives you an option to map line item unit prices in a Smartsheet » Xero integration. Is there anyway you can set things up so that Xero actually picks up and uses the incoming custom unit price data.

Thanks in advance.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @AeJay 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Thank you for explaining the situation clearly. It looks like this is something possible with Xero. However, I want to make sure that I’m providing you with the correct information.

Could you kindly send screenshoots of how you have set up the Zap so far? Please make sure to include all the fields. This would allow me to check further.

(If there’s any personal information, kindly blur them.)

Looking forward to your response! 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

I think that these three screenshots are the most relevant (in a very long zap). Let me know if you need anything else and thanks in advance.

AJ.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @AeJay 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Thank you for explaining the situation clearly. It looks like this is something possible with Xero. However, I want to make sure that I’m providing you with the correct information.

Could you kindly send screenshoots of how you have set up the Zap so far? Please make sure to include all the fields. This would allow me to check further.

(If there’s any personal information, kindly blur them.)

Looking forward to your response! 😊

Hi Cherie,

I’ve added the screen shots. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @AeJay!

Can I check that I’ve understood the issue correctly? 

When the item has a fixed unit price, the Zap works as intended. When the item has a customizable unit price, even though the unit price is added in the Xero fields (in the place indicated in the screenshot below), the action doesn’t respect this price and uses the standard one, which is $0. 

Have I got that right?

If you don’t include the item code, will that cause an issue for things on the Xero side? I’m wondering if you could leave the item code and fill in the other fields as I think that that will then use the unit price that you put into the Zap field. 

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @AeJay!

Can I check that I’ve understood the issue correctly? 

When the item has a fixed unit price, the Zap works as intended. When the item has a customizable unit price, even though the unit price is added in the Xero fields (in the place indicated in the screenshot below), the action doesn’t respect this price and uses the standard one, which is $0. 

Have I got that right? Yes - Correct

If you don’t include the item code, will that cause an issue for things on the Xero side? I’m wondering if you could leave the item code and fill in the other fields as I think that that will then use the unit price that you put into the Zap field. 

​I hope that's clear, please let us know if you have any questions!

I think for 50% of the 10% this would work. For context, all these workflows are triggered by completion of 1 of 20 odd customized client quote forms. In the form the client selects from a description dropdown and enters quantities & processes for each line item. The are three instances where price can vary from that stored in Xero:

1. Where ‘add on’ processes are selected from a line item Smartsheet calculates a premium above base price.
  2. On each form there is an option to “manually enter description”  (these are all assigned to the same item code). When this option is selected the client can type in description, price and quantity.
  3. There are a few instances where price varies within a unique item code, like “fitting” or “bolts” something like that, where a unit price dropdown can appear in the form.  

I think that for item 2 above your suggestion could work, but for the others it would need to have the item code. The client still uses Xero for key reporting and we’d want it to be accurate.

Does anyone know anyway to make the Zap respect the price data provided? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @AeJay! Thanks for the extra context!

Full transparency, this is quite a beast of a zap you’ve built (it’s super impressive!) and this level of customization is a bit beyond the Zapier scope of what we can support. It’s possible there’s someone in the community that may have some ideas - we really do have some great minds here! 🧠 If you’re looking for a more immediate solution, you can also look into hiring a Zapier Expert to take this on for you though. 🙂

Hopefully you’ll keep us posted on your wins if you’re able to get this figured out on your own! 🤞🏽

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Christina,

I’m NOT customizing anything in Zapier, I’m simply mapping Smartsheet fields to Xero fields exactly as intended. 

There doesn’t seem to be a slew of ‘experts’ here offering actual solutions. If someone comes on here and says the can resolve the issue I’d consider that. to date - crickets.

But as it stands, the Zap is mapped as intended by Zapier and isn’t functioning. I’m also considering other integration tools that will actually work and actually have customer support.

Cheers,

AJ

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I’m sorry for your frustration with this @AeJay. I would expect that adding the price in Xero should overwrite the existing price for a product code too. 

There is one thing that could be causing the issue, though it’s a bit of a long shot. On the Xero API that the UnitAmount (assuming that's the Unit Price) will be rounded to two decimal places, so maybe it's expecting the prices to be supplied as 1.00, 2.00, 3.00... instead of 1,2,3...? It’s possible that there's a validation rule on Xero's side where if the price isn’t in correct format, it'll use the default value for the product. Could you try using an amount with two decimal places to see if that works? I’d recommend manually typing in some data into the Zap action to test it, rather than changing everything, in case it doesn’t work. 

If that doesn’t solve the problem, you can reach out to the support team to let them that this is a bug. You can reach out to the Zapier support team if you are on a Zapier trial, a paid plan or to report a bug. 

I’m sorry that this has been a frustrating experience for you and I hope that this gets you closer to a resolution. 

Thanks. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Danvers,

Thanks for providing some ideas and possible solutions rather than just fobbing me off on some non-existent “Expert” who judging by this thread will know less than me:). I tried removing the item code from SS, as you suggested, which worked! This solves 50% of the problem.

Your idea of adding a .00 to currencies is a good idea, but I presume it doesn’t work - I’ve run some item codes @ $5.55 for example and they also populate as zeros in Xero. 

I’ve come up with an alternative in SS, there are usually only 4 possible prices on an item code, so I realized I could just add a suffix to each item code using a formula in SS and add more item codes to Xero i.e. “Item code-suffix.

Thanks again. I still have item 3 above to resolve… but this only affects 4 item codes, I might try and get the client to lump these in with ‘manually enter description’ items.