Best answer

Smartsheet Update Question - Will Zapier Work?

• 27 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello all. New to Zapier and I’m having trouble configuring it to solve a problem I have. I’m beginning to wonder if Zapier is the right solution for this.

The Problem

1. We have orders that are processed in an internal system. The database is managed in SQL Server.
  2. In Smartsheet we are tracking customers that we “onboard”. Being onboarded means that they have met all of the requirements to send us orders. Each customer has a unique ID. This ID is present in both Smartsheet and the database
  3. In Smartsheet, we want to automatically update each customer’s row when they send us an order (Date of Last Order) and when they send us their first order (First Order Received)

How would you all recommend approaching this? Is it possible to configure a Zap that matches each customer’s ID and only updates those rows? I tried doing a test of this with Google Sheets and it doesn’t seem to be possible.

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 4 May 2022, 01:11

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @fljohnson2 

Good question.

Unfortunately the Smartsheet Zap does not have an available action for Find Row.

The workaround would be to store the Smartsheet Customer ID and Row ID somewhere to use in a lookup table for use in the Zap.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone thank you so much for the quick response. Could you expand on it a bit?

Are you saying that we’d have to make a separate table in SQL and store each customer’s Customer ID and Row ID from Smartsheet (lookup table)? Then, when a new order comes in, have a Zap that updates Smartsheet based on a SQL query that uses the order table and that lookup table?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fljohnson2

Yes, that’s the concept.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone is it possible to build a Zap that captures the Row ID? I’m not sure of a way to get that automatically from Smartsheet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fljohnson2 

It would be returned when a new row is created in a sheet.

Otherwise, since there is no Find Row action available, it would have to be manually scraped from Smartsheet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@fljohnson2 

The Smartsheet API endpoints for search would have to be used: https://smartsheet.redoc.ly/#operation/list-search-sheet

The Smartsheet API endpoints for Rows doesn’t have a find/filter option: https://smartsheet.redoc.ly/#tag/rows

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @fljohnson2!

I was going to look into doing this with the Smartsheet API but it looks like you need at least the Business plan to do so, and that starts at $126/month (I’m in Canada). It has a minimum of 3 users, which is why it costs that much.

Are you on that plan or higher? If not, then the API wouldn’t be an option and you’d have to create a lookup table.

That table can be created anywhere, really. Google Sheets, Airtable, SQL. The idea is that you store the row ID from Smartsheet and the customer ID. Then when you need to update a row, you search by the customer in order to get the row ID.