Best answer

How do I identify Smartsheet rows in Zapier without a "Find Row" action?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does anyone know away around the lack of an “action” step with Smartsheet to be able to identify a row?  It seems like a very basic function.  I can use a workaround of creating a google sheet with the identical information as Smartsheet, but seems redundant and a greater chance of error.

icon

Best answer by SamB 7 February 2024, 15:55

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there!

I just wanted to make sure that I understand what you’re looking for. Are you asking about a search action for Smartsheet, like a Find Row? If not, can you please elaborate a bit on what you’re seeking? Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

That is correct, I am looking for Find Row.  I think I came up with a clunky workaround of entering all the information into a Google Sheet including the Smartsheet Row ID, then using the Google Sheet to Find a Row in my secondary zap, which I then can use to find the Smartsheet Row and update.  But I’d love to cut out Google Sheets in this process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @RossNovotny!

Thanks for confirming! Glad you found a workaround in the meantime, but I’m sorry to say that the last time we checked, the Smartsheet API didn’t support a Find Row search action.

It's something other users have asked for so I've gone ahead and added your vote for this feature request. Should this bubble to the top, we'll be sure to let you know. 

Smartsheet owns and updates that integration so it may be worth it to reach out to them and let them know you'd like to have that feature added :)

They do have access to the feature requests in our system but it always helps if they hear directly from their users as well.

Userlevel 1

If you can add one more person to this request and vote, please do.  In fact, I am a little upset that I needed to build the same kludgy solution using a google sheet that Ross did above and now get charged a task because this is not possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi, @meanmna I’ve added you as a vote for that feature request! 

+1 here, please add my vote.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@BPIadmin your vote has been added and you will receive any updates via email!

Please add me too! Hope to have this function soon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@christina your vote has been added!

Userlevel 1

Please add me - I would like to Find Row based on Primary ID column

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Dinozaur - your vote is now added! 

please add me

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @juliap, I’ve just added your vote to the feature request!

I am requesting this feature as well. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @llmu92, I’ve just added your vote to that feature request as well. 

We’ll be in touch with any updates on that!

Please add my vote also, seems to be a fundamental piece of function!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @MandyR05e!

I’ve added your vote to the list :) As of a month ago, we heard from Smartsheet and they say that there are some limitations on their end that prevent this action from being implemented in an efficient manner. If you’re looking for more details, your best bet would be to reach out to their Support team. You could mention to them how important this functionality is to you, and maybe they have a feature request list they can add you to.

Userlevel 1
Badge

For all of those on this post that responded to my original question.  I was tired of waiting for Smartsheet to develop a better Zapier integration. So my team and I developed a much better zapier integration.  Our Zapier app allows you to do not only row lookup, but also select an attachment from a row for use in a zap, update multi-select fields, add an image to a cell, move a sheet to another folder and more.  If you’re interested in testing it out, you can sign up here https://thirddegreeleverage.com/smartsheet/ and we will invite you.  I will put together a video soon on how to use each of the features.  I hope it helps the Zapier/Smartsheet community!

Userlevel 1

@nicksimard could I get added to the list. Also pondering if there is an update on this as it appears Smartsheet now support this as Automate.io support the Search a Row function

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Lee let me know if you want to try out our Zapier “app” that allows Smartsheet search functionality. 

Hi, does anyone know if thiere have been any updates to this? I need to enter data  from a google sheet into the correct row of a smartsheet? There still doesn’t seem to be an option in Zapier to ‘lookup’ a row in Smartsheet

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge

@hk.cps I have talked to Smartsheet several times about this and they don’t seem interested in creating that native functionality. My team and I created a tool that allows you to accomplish this if you’re interested you can sign up for access here: https://thirddegreeleverage.com/smartsheet/

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am leaving Smartsheet for this very reason. Airtable ahs all I need 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey folks,

Just wanted to share that it’s now possible to search for an existing row using a query with the Smartsheet app on Zapier! 🎉
35c5877f95dfab33cc5e6935f498d616.png

Please note: This action was added using a beta feature known as Custom Actions, which you can see referenced in the name of the action.

Please do give that new “Find sheet Row” search action a try and let us know if you run into any issues with it. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡