Skip to main content

Hi there,
I am trying to slice a single block of text into multiple data values.  

My question is simply, what is the best way to receive separated values from a single block of text, so that I can send these values to a spreadsheet?  (Note: the intro text is always the same, **Title:**, **Description:** and **Colors:**)

Here’s an example:

Text Block Starts Here….
**Title:** World War II Memorial Fountain
**Description:** A sunny day at the World War II Memorial in Washington, DC, featuring the iconic fountain and surrounding pillars. Visitors stroll and relax around the monument.
**Colors:** Blue, Gray, White, Green
Text Block Ends Here...

I’d like to have separate variables returned after sending the above block of text through a text formatter/parser that will return each detail separately.. so the above details will return only the value of each...

1st returned variable:
World War II Memorial Fountain

2nd returned variable:
A sunny day at the World War II Memorial in Washington, DC, featuring the iconic fountain and surrounding pillars. Visitors stroll and relax around the monument.

3rd returned variable:
Blue, Gray, White, Green

How would I go about getting this done successfully?  What tools or methods would you recommend using for such a task?

Thanks for any help.  I’ve been going in circles trying to find a solution

Hi @FredSan_227 

Check these options for data parsing:

Hi @FredSan_227,

I just came across your post here and wanted to check in here to see how you’re getting on. Were you able to try Troy’s suggestion here? 

Please do let us know if you’re still in need of some help on this at all. We’re happy to assist further! 🤗

Hi @Troy Tessalone  - Thank you for your post, and @ken.a - I appreciate your following up.  I have been attempting some of the options Troy sent.  Using the Email Parser works 90% of the time; however, there are still errors, which I am struggling with.  There must be a better way.

My next attempt was to prompt the AI to deliver results in a JSON format - The results still come back in a single “Block” of code, which needs to be unpacked and mapped.  I attempted ”Using Python Code In Zaps” but I notice this “note: It’s not possible to map inputData in Code by Zapier triggers.”

I am still looking for a better solution and will continue to try each of Troy’s suggestions until I find a working solution.  (Oddly, the links in the original response are not clickable.)

​​​​​​

@Troy Tessalone and @ken.a and the Zapier Community… 
I was able to combine the suggestions from Troy with a Youtube video by Zapier Tutorials

And successfully map and manage the data using Formatter by Zapier.  It was a long process, but it works.

I greatly appreciate your feedback.  
Please let me know if I should post more details on my solution.  

That’s an amazing news @FredSan_227!

Sharing more details about your solution would be very helpful to our community members who might have the same question. 😊