Question

Slack New Mention - Specify Channel

• 5 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi Zap team,

I’m trying to set up a Zap to run whenever a specific keyword is mentioned in our #social channel, however, it seems the trigger New Mention is set automatically to #announcements, and cannot be changed. Does anyone have any tips? thanks

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Nick Cook 

Good question.

Try adding a Filter as Step 2 in the Zap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Nick Cook, just popping in to echo Troy’s great suggestion here! 

While the New Mention trigger isn’t able to limit it to a specific channel a Filter step would allow you to check which channel the mention was made in. It will ensure that the Zap only continues to run for mentions in a specific channel. You can find out more about filters here: Add conditions to Zaps with filters

I couldn’t see an existing feature request to select specific channels for the New Mention trigger so please do reach out to our Support team to get one added! You can do that here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

The other workaround I thought of, which wouldn’t involve adding any extra steps to your Zap would be to create a Single-channel guest account in Slack. You’d give that user access to your #social channel only and connect the Zap to that Single-channel guest account instead of your own. That should mean that the Zap will only trigger for mentions in that #social channel. I’ve not tested this workaround so if you do give that a try and it works please let us know! 😀