Question

Slack: Any way to archive or kick people out of channel via zap?

• 12 May 2023
  • 1 reply

I’m curious if the function I’m looking for is doable with Zapier:

Essentially, I’d like to have a setup where projects tagged in Airtable as “In Progress” have a slack channel made for them.  Easy enough.

BUT, I would also like to have any projects tagged as “Closed” in Airtable somehow drop off of everyone in my workspace’s radar, one way or another.

Our projects are quick turnaround.  2-4 weeks.  And somewhat numerous.  So having an automated dropoff would be much nicer than doing a manual monthly cleanup or whatever.

Curious if it’s possible or if I’ll just have to manually do it.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @Cantrall, great question! 🙂

The Slack app doesn’t have any “Archive Channel” actions. But we’ve got an existing feature request to have an Archive Channel action added, which is also being discussed over here: 

I’ve added your vote for that feature request so you’ll get an email notification from us as soon as that’s added to the Slack app. And we’ll be sure to post any updates on that feature request in that other topic so please do subscribe to it to be kept up to date on any developments.

In the meantime, I wonder if you might be able to use Slack’s API Request (Beta) action to archive a channel. It looks like you’d need to make a POST request to the admin.conversations.archive endpoint in order to archive a channel. I should mention though that it’s a bit more advanced so that workaround may not be ideal. But if you’d be interested in trying it out please see our Create an API request in your Zaps (Beta) guide for more details.

If you do manage to get it working by using that API Request (Beta) action please us know. We’d love to hear how you get on with this!