Best answer

Shopify Line Item Support On Creating Order (Multiple Products)

• 6 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

This is a bit of a different use case. We have a form that customers can use if they need replacement products. They can select multiple products and these are brought into Zapier as line items. The problem is that the “Create Order” function in Zapier for Shopify ONLY allows you to select one Shopify product. If you choose “Custom” and put the line items in, they’ll push to Shopify, but as new, unlinked products. I need them to come to Shopify linked to the products that already exist in Shopify to accurately decrement stock levels, etc. I can't figure out how for the life of me to do this. I have ensured that the names match what Shopify is expected to see. I did a lookup table for the ID that Shopify is expecting and put those in a line item, etc. to no avail. You can see in the picture below of what I mean. The closest I’ve gotten is the highlighted “fake products” on the left which aren’t linked to anything. The circled product on the right is how it SHOULD appear. Any thoughts at all on how to add multiple real products into one order would be most helpful! Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 6 April 2021, 18:02

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @hagan 

Can you provide screenshots of how your Zap steps are currently configured?

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone, thanks for the quick reply and apologies in advance for the terrible screenshots. Posting from my phone as it’s pretty late here. I can send more tomorrow if this doesn’t make sense. So, in the first field, if you use the single select radio button and select one product, everything works perfectly, as shown here: 

However, a customer might select one or more items. So, I chose custom and selected my line items. It is in fact a line item and I went a step further to ensure white space is removed. In this case, there are two: Alex - Yellow Light Up Cubes and Blair - Blue Light Up Cubes, which match the Shopify products exactly. 

If you put the above in the “Product” field, it fails, telling you that something needs to go in the “Product Title” field. However, doing that will send both line items to Shopify, but not as the actual products they should be associated with, as shown in the first screenshot in my original message - it just basically pushes two line items of text over. I simply need those items to link with the actual products in Shopify. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@hagan 

Make sure to check the description underneath each field.

Appears a Product Variant may need to be selected as well.

Also, the Product field expects the Shopify internal numeric Product ID.

This is the value in smaller gray font seen in the screenshot below.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone, thank you! Unfortunately, I tried a lookup table with the product ID’s instead and that won’t transfer. I’ve shown the error below. The weird thing is that if you simply select a single radio button from the pre-populated list, such as “Alex - Yellow Glo Pal’ from above, it transfers without issue, with no other fields (variant, title, etc.) needing to be populated. This had me thinking that I could simply put the product ID’s together as a line item in the “Product” field, but this is the error we’re getting: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@hagan

Try testing as indicated by the descriptions underneath each field, since sometimes fields are conditionally required.

In your screenshot above, it shows 2 fields as blank Product Variant  AND Product Title (likely line_items Name indicated in the error message), but the Product field descriptions seems to indicate Product Variant is a conditionally required field and the error message seems to indicate Product Title is required.

Otherwise, I suggest opening a ticket with Zapier Support here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Badge +4

Hi @hagan have you tried to format your line_items as text at all? 

Sometimes Zapier/Shopify does not recognize Line Items as text at first and these values need to be formatted.

Add a Formatter step, then select Utilities.

When selecting what to transform click Line Item to Text in the drop down menu.  Then input the products you wish to edit.

Hope this helps.

Learn more:

https://zapier.com/help/create/format/convert-line-items-into-text-strings

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone, thanks so much - you led me in the right direction! You’re right - you need the product ID as a line item and also variants as line items (even if the items don’t have variants). Putting this out here just in case someone comes across this. For this case, I used one product but created variants. It let me choose the single product but put the variants as line items and worked flawlessly. I think a bit more documentation on this could go a long way, but I certainly appreciate your help - it got me going in the right direction.