Best answer

share all posts ever published to social media wordpress

• 30 September 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello.

I have a few zaps to share new wordpress posts with social media like facebook pages and twitter. But I have dozen of posts that I published before I create these zaps. So I would like to ask if it's possible to share all the posts ever published on my site to twitter and facebook.

Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 30 September 2020, 12:52

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

At the moment, Zaps are only built to look at new and incoming information, and won't process existing data. You can read a bit more about this here: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/why-isnt-my-zap-triggering-on-existing-records

This means that data created before the Zap is turned on won't be pulled in automatically. 

That said, if you're able to export that data as a spreadsheet or CSV file, you may be able to "import" them using a separate Zap. This guide has some great visual references for getting that workaround set up: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/bulk-import-data-into-zaps

Userlevel 1
Badge

And if I managed exporting all the posts in to a CSV file, how would you create the zap to share the posts in my facebook page for example ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

OH, I'm sorry, I got confused from the article. I thought that the google spreadsheets was the action in the zap. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well now I have another problem. The zap works, but it posts data from only one row of the sheet, why is this ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @davil the chef - Stepping in for Danvers here.

Sounds like you may need to try Formatter by Zapier, specifically the Utilities that allows you to split your data with line-item support: https://zapier.com/apps/formatter/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @davil the chef - Just following on from what others have said. Zapier is normally best for actions you want to happen from now on. But I often come across this, and whilst it’s normally quite simple to write a Python script and import - Not everyone can write Python…

So a nice workaround can often be to use Airtable. It supports csv import, and you can then create a zap to trigger based on a new record in view. So you would just create a view that you want to import, turn the zap on, and add the records. It is a really nice (if a little inefficient) workaround. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

steph.n, I tried using the utilities formatter, however when I try activating the zap I get an error that says that I have more steps in my zap than my plan allows. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

andywingrave, well I created a airtable account, and I am now trying to create the zap, but I need to fill in more options in the airtable such as table and base, and airtable is new to me, what does this mean ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

OK, I learned a bit about airtable, and what are tables and bases, and I created the zap and activated it, created the record, and it works perfectly !! the only downside is that I need to copy all the data from the google sheet one by one which takes a little time but it's worth it. Thank you so much !!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well now I have a weird problem. I saw that no new posts were created even when I added new records, so I tested the zap, but it just wrote that no new record are available even though I created new ones. Any ideas ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Glad to be of help! For your two issues:

1. Adding them one-by-one - you should be able to export from Google Sheets, and then import as a CSV
  2. For the second issue - It’s a normal issue. You need to ensure the view is empty before you turn the zap on. I normally create a view then add an extra filter (e.g. name = “skdjfhksdjhfkjsdhfk”) so it clears the view, turn the zap on, and remove that filter

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi andywingrave, and thank you for your support.

1. OK, I found an article about how to import a csv or from google sheets.
  2. I didn't exactly understand how to create this filter, do you mean a filter in the zap ? If so I don't think I will be able to create it because my plan doesn't allow me to create multi-step zaps.

So I was thinking of turning of the zap, then creating an empty table, and changing the zap to pull the data from that table, and then import the csv, but the problem is that I can import the csv only when I create the table, I can't create an empty table and then import, so the problem is that if I'll import the csv to a new table and then change the zap to pull the data from that table and turn on the zap, it won't work because I already created all the tables before I turned on the zap. ( Is this what the filter you suggested was supposed to prevent ? But as I mentioned above, I can't create it because my plan doesn't allow it. Any ideas how to do this other than the filter ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey! No I meant the filter in airtable 

Userlevel 1
Badge

OH, good. So how do I create this filter ? should I just create both filters that are in the screenshot ? However, where the project name and project stage shows in the screenshot, my dropdown options are the columns titles, which in my case is title, excerpt, image url and permalink. and also I see that in the screenshot the filter contained kajdfhkjadfkjahfs however in a above reply you wrote that the filter should contain: skdjfhksdjhfkjsdhfk so which one should I use ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

andywingrave 

and is the first filter from the screenshot also important for the view to be cleared, or is it unrelated to the second filter ?