Best answer

Setting up daily Google folders for Timelapse camera photos?

• 28 September 2022
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

My business has a number of Timelapse cameras set up.

These take 1 photo per hour each, which are emailed to an inbox. 

Currently, the email is the trigger for the image attachment to upload to the folder of each respective camera. 

In order to make this data easier to view, I would like to set up Zapier to create a new folder at midnight each day, labelled with a ‘pretty date’, and for all photos taken on that day to be uploaded into that folder. I am new to Zapier and am struggling to set this up. 

Any help with his problem would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 28 September 2022, 07:59

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @SST 

This seems like a pretty easy setup.

First of all you need a zap that triggers with Schedule By Zapier where you can set the time to midnight. Then using the results of that trigger you can create an action for Google Drive to Create a Folder using the pretty date (which is a result in the trigger) 

Now in the other zap with the email trigger all you have to do is add a step that Finds the Google Folder with today’s name and setup the upload file action to upload to the found folder :) 

Let me know of this helps

Userlevel 1

Hi @MohSwellam 

Thanks for the reply!

I suspected this path would be the answer, however I am still not sure how to add the step that finds a folder with today’s date, should it be an option under this menu? 

Thanks in advance again! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

My pleasure @SST :) 

Yes, in this part you should be able to find the date of the email. If the pretty date is not one of the options, then you need to add a Formatter By Zapier step to convert the format of the date from the Gmail step

Userlevel 1

Thanks so much @MohSwellam 

I think I am close but the pretty date has a comma in it (Oct 5, 2022) and you cannot select that in the find a folder, the closest is Oct 5 2022

Is there a troubleshoot for this?  Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @SST , 

You can remove the comma using Formatter by Zapier , it should be pretty easy :) Just do it as a Date formatter and make your own format without the comma 

let me know when this works :)

Userlevel 1

Thanks @MohSwellam 

When running a test, it is coming up 

Failed to create an upload file in Google Drive

The app returned "File not found: Oct 05 2022".

Formatter by Zapier solves the formatting thank you.  However, changing the file name to the date and trying to match it to the folder doesn’t seem to want to work.  The folder exists.

Thanks so much

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @SST , 

can you please show me a screenshot of this step of the Zap? 

Also, can you try removing the mapped value Oct 05 2022 and type it instead? Maybe check the exact name on Google Drive? Is it Oct 05 or Oct 5

Userlevel 1

Thanks @MohSwellam 

This is the workflow of zaps and what looks like the critical piece but I’m not sure… It’s cloase.  The format of the folder is def Oct 05 2022 - that bit is identical.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I don’t understand what you mean by “cloase” :) 

The problem is the Folder field in Step 5, you are mapping the Title while you should be mapping the folder ID from the Find A Folder step results :) 

Userlevel 1

Ah it was a typo, I meant it’s close.

It is mapping from the find a folder step but I can’t see how to change it to ‘folder’ rather than ‘title’

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

this is the value you need, remove the existing value in this field (3. Title: Oct 05 2022) and add this one instead , and congrats, its working 😁

Userlevel 1

Oh wow, that might’ve done it!  Amazing, appreciate your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Its my pleasure ;)

please mark the reply that helped you as Answer so others can benefit from it :)