Best answer

Sending texts to all phone numbers in an excel file

• 11 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I have excel files that are going to be sent to a specific e-mail address at specific times with specific e-mail subjects. Getting Zapier to detect that the e-mail has arrived is no problem, same as getting it to save it as a google sheet if I want. 

However, the critical part of this workflow is trying to get text messages to be automatically sent to each phone number within the excel file. It’s the exact same text message every time and I don’t care which text messaging app is used, but I can’t seem to get this to work on either TextMagic or SimpleText. Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 11 January 2021, 16:58

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Check out this video about how to create a looping Zap with GSheets…

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you’re using TextMagic (or similar app e.g. ClickSend) you should be able to add all the desired recipients to a List, then send the SMS to the List via Zapier, which is a much more efficient solution than creating a looping Zap.

Thanks for your help! I’m going to try the looping method.

No matter what I use as the trigger (the incoming e-mail with the attachment or the saved google sheet) I can’t seem to get the “Create Contact” to step into the data in the file and extract anything. All sorts of data values are available, but none of the values that I really need, unless I’m missing something.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It’s a bit more complex to do what you’re trying to do by working with the data within a file.

Essentially you have to convert the attached Excel to a CSV.

After you upload the Excel file to GDrive and convert it to a GSheet, the Zap step will return a version of the GSheet that is a CSV file.

Take a look at this article about using the Formatter tool with a CSV file: https://zapier.com/help/doc/how-import-csv-files-formatter