Best answer

Sending messages as a Slack Bot

• 21 July 2022
  • 3 replies

I created a small Slackbot (let’s call it George), to which I can send a private message. The message is then forwarded to my #Zap via WebHooks.

Now I would like the Zap to answer to that private message as George.

So far I could only find how to answer as a real user or as the official Slack Slackbot. Is there a way to do this?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 27 July 2022, 14:43

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Timothep! Happy to help here. In order for this to come from “George” they would need to have their own Slack account AND that is the account that needs to be authorized when connecting Slack to Zapier. 

Give that a go - it should help you move forward with this use case. 🙂

Well, that would work, but creating a new user for automation wouldn’t work company-policy-wise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Timothep!

Unfortunately, I don’t think Zapier can help you if need to send a private message as a custom ‘bot’. As you’ve found, you can send the message as yourself or using Slackbot. It is possible to customize bots when they post in channels, but not when sending a private message. 

We do have a feature request for the Slack integration asking for the option to authenticate with Zapier as a bot, which would allow you to do what you need. I've added your email address as another vote for this addition. I don't have an ETA of when or if this will happen, but we will definitely email you if it does become a reality. 

Thanks!