Best answer

Sending gmail to Member added to a card using butler?

• 25 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Can we use Zapier to send emails to Members we assign to cards?

We use Butler to add ‘members’ from a List, to a card (round robin). When using Zapier to capture a trigger when a new card is created, we are unable to see or select these added member(s) in order to send an email. How can this be achieved?

icon

Best answer by RALaBarge 25 October 2022, 18:23

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey there @Scout_troop888!

Looking at a list of our apps, I don’t see a “Butler” app but your screenshot looks a little bit like Trello.  Looking even deeper than that via Google, it appears that Butler is an app in Trello that sets up automation stuff!

Looking at the data that Trello sends us for New Card triggers, I do see they will send an `idmembers` field to represent members attached to the card but no email address’.  You could work around this in a few different ways:

• Can Butler add other data to the card, including a string as a comment or details to the card itself?  If so you could consider adding an email address for Zapier to fetch to be used in Gmail.  Combine that with our “Named Variables” tool and you could accomplish this without adding other steps to your Zap!
  • Another option would be to use the “Find Member” Trello search as it appears that output does include an email address if one is configured on the member object.
  • Finally, if the members of your org are somewhat static, you could think about using a Lookup Table to convert the IDs that Trello does return into an email address.  More on that here!

Let us know how it goes or if you had more questions!

Thank you @RALaBarge , I should have been more clear. Yes, we collect data using Google Forms, transmit that to Trello, and from Trello, use Butler to add ‘members’ from a list. With Zapier, we are now able to pick up the assigned ‘member’ Name, but will need to use lookup to associate that with a static list of email addresses.

Thank you again.