Best answer

Sending emails from Google contacts or sheets

• 26 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I want to send wedding anniversary emails to list of people on the date of their wedding anniversary.

I have the records in Google sheets and have also imported them into my Google Contacts, using a custom field for the wedding anniversary date and placed them all under a label named “Anniversaries”

Is there a way using zapier that I could send emails via gmail to these people either from the Google sheets file or from google contacts on the date of their wedding anniversaries? 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 26 March 2021, 21:55

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TonyW 

Consider adding a repeating Event in GCal and using GCal Event Start as the Zap trigger.

Action: Gmail Send Email

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @TonyW - Wow, this is such a wonderful idea! I have a question for you regarding the use of Gmail. Are you using an email like “@gmail.com” or are you using Google Workspace to power your own custom domain “@funidea.com”? I’m asking because in 2019, Google Gmail has some restrictions with the usage of email.

You can read more about it here: https://zapier.com/help/doc/common-problems-with-gmail#my-gmail-zap-has-an-error-about-connecting-to-google-approved-or-not-approved-apps - Let me know if you have any further questions!

Userlevel 1

Troy, would that mean that the contacts and dates would need to be added to Google Calendar first?

I’m not sure how to do that.

I can see how to add birthdays to Google Calendar, but haven’t been able to find a way to add dates that are in a custom field?

Steph.n

Hi, I have a custom email address and a Google business account, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @TonyW - Oh great! Then you shouldn’t have an issue with the Gmail limitations that I mentioned then.

What I think Troy is saying is that you’ll need to add each calendar event into Google Calendar. Don’t forget to set the “Repeat event once a year on the same date” within each event with makes a recurring event. So for example, you need to add March 30th as a calendar event plus add repeat once a year. From there, the Zap should trigger on the Start Date once a year like Troy outlined. You don’t need a custom field, it is based on the calendar event start date.

The Description in the calendar field is a good place if you want to add a custom message (or still need a custom field).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @TonyW 

Yes, you’d need to create new recurring events for existing GContacts using the desired data points.

Alternatively, you could consider creating an event when a GContact is created/updated.

Steps

1. Trigger: GContacts New/Updated Contact
  2. Action: GCal Create Event

You can export your GContacts to a GSheet: https://support.google.com/contacts/answer/7199294?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Then you could configure a Zap that creates a GCal Event by looping thru the rows.

Userlevel 1

Thank you @Troy Tessalone  and @steph.n 

I already have all of the data in a Google sheet, so I’ll play around with the webhook idea and see if I can get that to work.

There are a few hundred wedding anniversaries and so to add all of those into Google calendar one at a time (which is what seems to be the only option) would take far too long.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@TonyW 

The looping webhook method as outlined in the video will work.

I suggest testing on a smaller subset of data first to ensure the Zap works as expected.

Because once it’s turned ON, it will processes pretty quickly.