Question

Sending contact information and notes into Salesforce with different overwriting behaviours

• 25 March 2024
  • 4 replies

I am trying to send new or changed contact from an individual into Salesforce and search whether the email of the individual exists in an instance of a lead or contact already. If so the lead or contact should be updated with all factual info (name, company, phone etc.) as well as notes and if not create a new lead created.

My progress so far is that I use
'find record in SF' and then paths to split based on if the email exists as a lead/contact already or not. So far so good. But here are my issues are

1) in 'Update record', I'm unsure if I need to specify, if the record is a lead or a contact in SF. I hope and update the record regardless.

2) I'm unsure what data is updated and or if it is possible to not overwrite certain info. Having been able to find information on this.

3) I would like to transfer notes on the lead/contact, as well as the contact info, name and factual data. Can I do that in one action, have several 'Update record in Salesforce' in a row?

4) Also rather then having new notes overriding old notes, I'd like them to come in as new instances… I cant find information on this

Phew - I'm new to the Zapier game, so help is appreciated!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @NMWee 

To help us have full context, post screenshots with how your steps are outlined and configured, thanks.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone 

As requested here are the visuals. I think I’m mainly confused about Objects work ei, why do I need to select either Contact or lead as SF object, when the record has already been found.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@NMWee 

Help article about using dropdown fields: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496241696141-Add-custom-values-to-dropdown-menu-fields-in-Zaps

Make sure to review the field descriptions for guidance.

For Step 9, you would need to map the ID of the Contact from a previous Zap step.

For Step 10, you would need to map the ID of the selected Object from a previous Zap step.

Cheers @Troy Tessalone - will update!