Best answer

Send Chat Message in Microsoft Teams - Format, links, text, mentions, etc?

• 10 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

We regularly utilizes teams to alert our team as to when certain actions are performed at our company and have a robust “Send Channel Message” Zap already in production.

However, we would like to build off this channel message using Zapier automation in a “reply” format and use the “Send Chat Message in Microsoft Teams” Zap. I have already configured most of this step by using an index of the ChatID created in the First Step to run some logic through Zapier Filters to figure out which actions would be a reply or a new channel message thread. 

How, ever, the replies are coming across without any formatting whatsoever, URLs do not propagate as clickable links, mentions (using <at></at> markdown tags do not work and bulleting lists do not work - all thighs that work well when formatting in XML or Markdown when creating a channel message. 

Manually, you can reply with RTF, however, I cannot find a way to either set it so all replies from a certain user are posted in rich text in teams or find a way to specify the post in markdown using Zapier.

Is there a workaround to this issue? 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by christina.d 11 December 2021, 05:02

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @rkanter 

Check out these related topics:

Userlevel 1

Hi @rkanter 

Check out these related topics:

Unfortunately this was unhelpful. Keep in mind this is a chat reply to a channel message, not a channel message to begin a thread. The output in teams looks as follows:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@rkanter 

At this time I don’t think MS Teams Zap app integration supports HTML formatting.

You can open a ticket with Zapier Support for further confirmation and guidance: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone its supports markdown for channel messages, which I have used extensively - so the support is there already for some sort of rich text within the platform.

However specifically the “Send Chat Message in Microsoft Teams” Zap is underdeveloped.

My workarounnd for the time-being will be have Zapier post to a webhook to integrate with PowerAutomate to do it within Microsoft. However, if I wanted to do things with PowerAutomate I wouldn’t be paying for Zapier in the first place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@rkanter 

FYI: Most Zap app integrations are created and maintained by the app developers, rather than by Zapier, altho unsure who owns this MS Teams Zap app integration.

Feedback and feature requests can be submitted via a ticket to Zapier Support to be logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone don’t mistake my tone for unappreciation of Zapier - of course its Microsoft who is causing this problem. 

Thanks for the tip.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, @rkanter! Thanks for sharing your feedback! As ya’ll have determined, at this time formatting within the “Send Chat Message” action isn’t supported in the Microsoft Teams integration.

I did check around and it looks like this there’s an existing feature request for this though. I went ahead and added your vote to it! This way you’ll be kept in the loop if and when that does get implemented. We’ll also be sure to keep this thread updated as well. 🙂

@Troy Tessalone its supports markdown for channel messages, which I have used extensively - so the support is there already for some sort of rich text within the platform.

However specifically the “Send Chat Message in Microsoft Teams” Zap is underdeveloped.

My workarounnd for the time-being will be have Zapier post to a webhook to integrate with PowerAutomate to do it within Microsoft. However, if I wanted to do things with PowerAutomate I wouldn’t be paying for Zapier in the first place.

Were you able to post in a particular group chat? or only a channel?

How did you get the webhook to post a message with PowerAutomate