Best answer

Send a gmail with an attachment from google drive

• 29 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Hello to all,

I have a question ! 

I have been looking for a way to automatically send an email with two pdf documents attached once they are uploaded to google drive. 
But I would like those document to be sent as PDF and not drive link.

I really struggle to understand how the attachment works with zappier. Anytime  I try it only attach either nothing or empty .txt file…

Thanks a lot for your help

icon

Best answer by MarijnVerdult 29 March 2021, 12:10

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Eleonore - have you tried any of these two solutions? 

Hello @MarijnVerdult Thanks for your quick reply 

I have read the subject but I think either its not appropriate to my problem or there some things that I don’t get.. and probably both.

​​​​I don’t understand how the attachment work. and I cannot find the step by step that would help me. But As I write this I realize that my process would not work anyway because i need two files attached in my mail, and this would only attach one I believe. ​
I think that the topics you sent are interesting when you want to send always the same document but it is not my use case

Thanks a lot for the answer
​​​​

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Eleonore 

Try this solution, I just tested it and it works:

The ID is an output from drive and you can format the attachment as https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=%5BFILEID

P.S. It seems you’re creating a draft in gmail, is that correct or would you like to send an email?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Eleonore - did this work for you? ⬇️

@Eleonore 

Try this solution, I just tested it and it works:

The ID is an output from drive and you can format the attachment as https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=%5BFILEID

P.S. It seems you’re creating a draft in gmail, is that correct or would you like to send an email?

Hi @MarijnVerdult 

Thank you for your response. I just tried the zap with you proposition and it kind of worked… because I d have a pdf attached to my mail now, but it is not the good document. It is one that has been suppressed from my drive like 3 days ago. Wich is weird because how Zappier could have access to it ? It seems there is a lot of latency between the apps..

Maybe I ll have to wait.

And could you help me on the rest of my use case ? I need to attach two different files in my mail. Something like if the drive folder have two pdf documents, send the two pdf document by mail.

PS : I put in draft for now since I am still testing

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @Eleonore, that sounds weird, is this in a test or “live”? Can you please send a screenshot of how you’ve set up the trigger and action?

As far as I know, the Zap would trigger every time a new document is added to your Drive - so for every single doc. To add a second file you want to add a search-step looking for the second file that you want to add and then do the same thing for the attachment.

It was in test mode. 

Here is the path I made

And I just tested again without the second line of attahchment. there is an error :

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @Eleonore 

Since it’s in this mode, the data you get from your trigger are probably still based on the “old trigger”. To find a more recent document, you can load sample data again within Step 1.

It also seems you forgot to send a screenshot of the error