Best answer

Save Slack notification ID from Zapier on Google Sheets

• 4 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I have one Zap set up to send Slack notifications when there is a New or Updated Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets, so far it is working perfectly. But I would like to send new notifications on Slack (in the thread of the first message of this row) when new information is provided in the spreadsheet.

In order to be able to do that, I believe I would need to keep an record of the message ID (message ts?) on G-Sheets from the first notification sent by Zapier on Slack and then use this as reference for the new message, but I am struggling to do this, does anyone know how to make this work?

Here’s an example of how the spreadsheet works.

icon

Best answer by jayeshkumarbhatia 5 October 2021, 08:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @pd_de 

To send a Slack reply as a Thread...

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hey @pd_de ,

You should build 2 Zaps. First Zap for recording Slack Thread Id. 2nd Zap is for replying the message on that particular Slack Thread, when you update Google Spreadsheet row. You will have to user Filters and Paths to make this work.

Filtershttps://zapier.com/help/create/customize/add-conditions-to-zaps-with-filters

Pathshttps://zapier.com/paths

Hey guys,

thank you for your help, but it is still not really clear how the first slack message ID will be recorded on G-Sheets.
I suppose it should be the 3rd step (1st “New or Updated Row in G-Sheets” // 2nd “Send Slack Channel Message”), which would record the message sent on step 2, but I can’t find a way to do it, I was trying using a search step, but doesn’t seem to work...

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@pd_de When you send a 1st message message on Channel via Slack, this step will give you Thread id. Add this thread id in Google Spreadsheet. Now when you mark the checkbox for  2nd message on Google Spreadsheet, fetch the Thread id from Google Spreadsheet and send message on the same thread. BTW which action are you using to send Slack message?