Question

Save filtered spreadsheet as PDF

• 1 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone,

I’ve been trying to automatically send a filtered list from a spreadsheet using filters from data I collect from Typeform, so any person gets a filtered list from my database according to the needs they report.

So long I’ve had no trouble using the data from Typeform and accessing and filtering the spreadsheet, but when i want to send the filtered spreadsheet to the person that asked for it, I don’t know in which format I can do that.

I’ve tried to attach the filtered 20-row data to GMail, but it attaches a .txt file for each cell.

I’ve also tried to save the filtered spreadsheet as a new file and sending that, but I can’t format it into rows, instead I get only the headers.

Also I tried to convert the filtered spreadsheet into a PDF file and then attaching that to the e-mail, with no luck on creating the PDF file.

Does anyone know how can I get the result I want?

Cheers,

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @Bruno Frazzoni! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community! 🤗

Are you able to outline your current zap flow for us?

For Example:

1. Typeform Trigger - “New Entry”
  2. pdfFiller Action - “ xxx “
  3. GMail Action - “ xxx “

Any screenshots you can share of your zap setup (with any personal details obscured) would be super help as well! 

Thanks so much and looking forward to digging into this with you. 🙂

Gladly! It goes like this:

1. Typeform Trigger - “New Entry”: get data that the user wants from shpreadsheet
  2. Google Sheets - “Get Many Spreadsheet Rows (Advanced, With Line Item Support”: Use responses from Typeform to filter spreadsheet and getting a 20 row table.
  3. GMail - Send e-mail with filtered table results (here is where I have the problem with the filtered table format).

Thank you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Bruno Frazzoni ,

Thank you for sending those details! To do that you’ll need to use an app that allows you to create PDF’s from the Google Sheets results.

If you’re not sure what app to use, you can search in our app directory: https://zapier.com/apps/categories/documents

You can also type PDF into the search bar and check the results: 

4899d048296564fa82b631e75b2e7d47.png
(view larger)

Once you have chosen an app you can add a step to your Zap to convert the results into a PDF, and then use the output of this action as the attachment.

Let us know if it works 🙂

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

I was able to generate the PDF file, but I can’t format the rows correctly...it just shows one row with all the values

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Bruno!

If you’re adding the line items into a blank pdf, it’s likely that whichever app you’re using wont be able to format them properly, so you’ll see something like what you have above. 

Here’s a workflow that I think will do the trick, though you may need to test a couple of things:

1. Typeform: new form entry
  2. Google Sheets Get Many Spreadsheet Rows (Advanced, With Line Item Support)
  3. Google sheets, Create Spreadsheet - make a new spreadsheet for each person that completes the form
  4. Google Sheets, Create Spreadsheet Row(s)  - add the rows from step 2 to the new sheet
  5. Google Drive: Find File - Search for the newly created spreadsheet. The output of this step will give you a pdf export link (see screenshot below)
  6. Gmail: Send email - attach pdf using pdf download link from the previous step 

One thing to note is that you’ll have to set the privacy settings of each file so that anyone with the link can view them, or people wont be able to download the file. Google Drive lets you set permissions by folder, so you could add all of the new sheets to a specific folder with that access setting. 

The piece of this that I’ve not used before is the Create Spreadsheet Row(s) step, so you may want to test that to see if you can create a sheet in the way that you need using the Rows that the Get Many Rows step returns. 

Let us know if that helps!